Xeon processor support for Z68 motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xeon processor support for Z68 motherboards

I'm about to buy the Z68 Pro3-M motherboard and the CPU Support List has only the Xeon E3-1220 listed, which matches the i5-2400. Are there any plans to support other Xeon proceesors, like E3-1230 and/or higher that math the i7 processors? I would be more interested in a low power processor (80W vs. 95W) without built-in Intel graphics due to the case i'm going to use. I've seen people posting on other forums that it at least works with the E3-1230, but it is not listed as officially supported.

Re: Xeon processor support for Z68 motherboards

Hmm...you picked a non overclocking chip with no IGP on a board meant for overclocking and usage of IGP? Where is logic here?

Comment

I wouldn't really want this topic to shift from the main question "Will be other other Xeon processors officially supported by this motherboard and when?".

But to answer the previous questions: from the Micro ATX boards that support Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) (currently only Z68 chipset does) and have PCI slot on board, only the ASRock Z68 Pro3-M fits. I'm not planning to overclock for various reasons: first i'm more interested in a stable development environment and CUDA support and second the case i picked (SilverStone Sugo SG02-BF) will not let me and i din't think this is a good board for overclocking anyway. So using E3-1230 (4C/8T, 3.2GHz, 3.6GHz Turbo Frequency) would give enough performance for just 80W and $235 price tag. For example going with the i7-2600S (4C/8T, 2.8GHz, 3.8GHz Turbo Frequency) is going to cost ~ $400.

Comment

Can somebody from the ASRock Support comment on this?

Comment

Dear all,

Due to we don't have the CPU E3-1230 at the present, we cannot test the CPU with Z68 Pro3-M.
          Please kindly refer to below link for CPU support list to choose your CPU first.
          Link: ASRock > Products > Z68 Pro3-M > CPU Support List

If we have the CPU later, we will test it and update the CPU support list.

Thanks!

Have a nice day
          ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks! it works!! BIOS 1.30

Comment

Working...
              X