Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68 Extreme4 fan control

Hi Everyone,

I want to build a new very quiet system using the Z68 Extreme4 MB but need to know more about how it controls the fans. I can find nothing (or very little) in the manual about this.

For CPU_FAN1 the settings in UEFI seems to be automatic or fully on. AXTU seems to allow setting of target temperature and speed.
    Question1. How is the cpu fan regulated when set to automatic in UEFI?
    Question2. How does the target temperature and speed settings in AXTU control the CPU fan?

Page 9 in the manual says "CPU/Chassis Quiet Fan (Allow Chassis Fan Speed Auto-Adjust by CPU Temperature)"
    Question 3. Can the CHA_FAN1 to CHA_FAN3 be configured to change speed proportional to the CPU temperature with AXTU?

Can somebody please explain this to me ??

Thanks

Michael

Re: Z68 Extreme4 fan control

It will look more or less the same.
    When you choose Automatic mode you will set Fan speed level (1-9) and threshold temp. Below that temp, FAN will work on speed Level which you have chosen. When temp rise above the threshold, CPU FAN will start to spin up until max if it's necesary.
    Last edited by radier; 06-01-2011, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks radier!

And what about my question 3?

Comment

There are 6 fan headers on the extreme 6 p67, looks like 6 on the extreme 4 p67 also.

Taking that extreme 4 z68 is the same ?

1+2
        cpu 1 and cpu 2 headers can be cpu temp controlled
        Set it on 65c,the maximum for me and fans will stay at the speed you set until cpu exceeds that temp.
        I use lvl5 which is approximately 1400-1500 rpm on both fans.
        if 65c is exceeded they both spin up to 1800rpm approx(9 blade typhoon fans).

Chassis fan 1 can also be cpu temp controlled (needs a 4 pin fan to work).
        I use the original fan from my cpu cooler as the front chassis fan.
        With the resistor that came with the fan speed wont exceed 1450 rpm.
        I use lvl 3 fan setting in uefi which equates to approx 1250 rpm.
        If cpu temp exceeds 65 c it spins up to 1450 rpm approx and is audible.
        If i didnt have the resistor connected it would go to 2000 rpm and sound like a jet taking off.

Chassis fan 2 speed can be set in bios or the same as the others with axtu .It only has 4 speed lvls so i dont use it.It has no cpu or mbrd temp related control (that I know of)

Chassis
        Chassis fan 3 header speed can be set as above (no temp related control as far as I know) I use lvl 6 which is approx 1450 rpm for me.

power fan header has no bios/axtu adjustment and just applies full power to your fan ,i dont use it.

If those 3 temp related headers are not enough you will have to get either a seperate fan controller or a fan with a built in temp sensor or a temp probe.

There is also the software utility fanspeed ,which is usefull for monitoring ,but it probably wouldnt work on newer boards/bios for fan control.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Just wanted to reply and say that I just put together the Z68 board with a 2600k in a Cooler Master HAF 922 case. This is the quietest case I have used for a system. The large diameter fans turn slow enough to make almost no noise. It has one on the front, the back and the top. I'm running the system stock at this time (no overclocking) so it isn't worked very hard but it seems to stay very cool. Much better than the Antec cases I used a few years ago.

Comment

Thanks kick, exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for!

One more question: When the set temp is exceeded, will the CPU FAN and Chassis FAN 1 go to fully on immediately (one step), or do they gradually ramp up with increasing CPU temperature?

Comment

They gradually ramp up.

Comment

made a video about the mb fan connections on the asrock p67 extreme 4 (most likely similar to the other asrock boards)

YouTube - ‪Fan Guide/Tutorial + Chart for ASRock Series Mobo (P67 Extreme 4)‬‏

A fan guide with a chart for the ASRock P67 Extreme 4 B3 motherboard and similar ASRock boards. There are six fan connectors on the motherboard, with every one of them being different. Watch the video for their locations and descriptions, and refer to the chart in the video or below.

Fan chart: http://i51.tinypic.com/m7chvo.png

Comment

Thnx mate !

Comment

Working...
                  X