ASrock Z68 Extreme 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASrock Z68 Extreme 4

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying this motherboard. is it true they all have problems with their memory slots? do these boards have any other problems?

Re: ASrock Z68 Extreme 4

Try again!!
    Currently working on My Z68 Extreme4 build. I5-2500k (Oc at 4.2), 4 x 2 Ripjaw DDR3-1600, CL7 @ 1.60V. Zalman cpns9900Max-b HSF. No dedicated GPU & plan on taking memory to 12 Gigs shortly (Already have 2 x 4 sticks).
    On Ram started with 1 stick -> 4 sticks (at default) -> enabling XMP. Testing at all stages and all were A-OK.

Looking at Newegg reviews (3 diff Z68 MBs): 15 - 3 double post so really only 12. Too small of a sample Nr. But here is what I found:
    Zero memory problems (4 indicated all 4 slots used).
    One DOA - could have been memory.

Comments:
    I disabled Fast USB (Not sure if it was a problem with Usb ports) have not had a problem since.
    I love HWMonitor for monitoring Voltages (But Asrock works fine here) and individual Core temps (Asrock utility does not provide) HWMonitor - garbage on voltages and cpu temps, Fan speeds = Garbage (asrock, OK). It did look OK for individual core temps, but the refresh min/max did not work.
    Last edited by RetiredChief; 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

try what again? so does this board in particular or any ASRock boards have known problems? I read a couple of people on this forum had problems with their memory slots.
      i'm not sure if I should buy an ASRock board or Asus board.

Comment

I've had this board for 2 weeks now. I've run 2 different memory modules:

1- 2x4gb G Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
        2- 4x4gb G Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

I've run MemTest86+ on both sets for 24hrs each with no errors. In OS running various programs, I've not had any memory problems. Both run and bench very fast.

The only problems I've had with this board is with the xFast USB & heat on the chipset.

With the xFast USB Utility, I've experienced really slow speed when copying many large files. I've also experienced lockup. I simply uninstalled xFast and have no problems. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

I noticed that the chipset heatsink on MB would get to hot to touch when running intensive programs. I also experienced reboots while running Memtest86+. I installed a 120mm quiet fan (46cfm) to blow on the chipset heatsink and haven't had a problem since.

Other than these niggles, all is great with this board. It OC's easily, voltage and temp readouts seem to be accurate (in BIOS and in Windows 7)(tested temps with IR Thermo), and it has awesome speed.

Comment

Try again was in reference to posing. I typed everything and hit the subit. Recieved error, did not notice the Thing at the top - Have to enter for post to be accepted.

hdfreedom: While neither you or I have had a problem, that does not mean there are none. I've seen a couple of post that indicate there may be. BUT, I have a feeling that they may be user induced - ie possible ESD damage to Memory/Motherboard.

On testing memory. I always test my memory using Memtest from a boot CD. I do this when ever I make any change affecting memory and prior to loading/installing an operating system. Once I've loaded the operating system (In my case Win 7) I always use prime 95. I find prime 95 identifies mem error faster and more reliably.

Added: Just update the rom bios to 1.40 and re-enable fast USB. will test tommarrow.
          Last edited by RetiredChief; 05-29-2011, 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling as normal

Comment

No user error here my friend. board arrived with 2 dead ram slots.

Comment

I just found out ASRock will be releasing a higher model than the Extreme 4. it will be their Fatality model.

AnandTech - Computex 2011: ASRock Llano, 990FX and Z68 Motherboards

Comment

Working...
              X