890FX Deluxe4 will not boot USB 3.0 ADATA S102 flash drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 890FX Deluxe4 will not boot USB 3.0 ADATA S102 flash drive

I use my 890FX Deluxe4 as a media server because it has so many SATA ports. The O/S is unRAID 5.0 beta6a. The O/S boots off of a flash drive. I have been using an older 1 GB USB 2.0 flash drive with no problems. It will boot using any of the USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 ports. When I tried a newer ADATA S102 8G USB 3.0 flash drive, it will not boot. I tried F11 and my 890FX Deluxe4 does not recognize it as being bootable. It does appear to read it after I boot using my old flash drive. I tried the ADATA flash drive in my Dell Latitude E6300 (usb 2.0) and it boots fine. The ADATA is suppose to work in USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports. Any help would be much appreciated.

Drew

Re: 890FX Deluxe4 will not boot USB 3.0 ADATA S102 flash drive

Before OS, port drivers are not loaded; BIOS procedure is responsible for recognizing the flash drive and boot from it. Is there newer bios versions for your board? Or maybe a firmware update be effective?
    I have 890GX which has NEC D720200 USB 3.0 chip, but unfortunately no USB 3.0 flash to test! Someone with both (MB and flash) in hand please make a favor of test.
    Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 05-15-2011, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I had checked ASRock's site and 1.50 from 11/26/2010 is the latest for the 890FX Deluxe4. I had also searched for a beta firmware but could not find one for this motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by dcronshaw View Post
        [...] I had also searched for a beta firmware but could not find one for this motherboard.
        From this forum (firmware and driver):
        NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller

I haven't tested though myself!

Comment

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
          From this forum (firmware and driver):
          NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller

I haven't tested though myself!
          I will try it. Thanks!

Comment

Installed Windows Vista x64 on a spare HD so I could install the driver/firmware. It says "Plural host controllers detected". I tried Disabling one of them in Device Manager. Same error message. Tried Disabling USB 3.0 in bios, it did not find the controller. Tried Disabling USB Legacy support in bios, same "Plural host controllers detected". I found some info on a Russian site listed here:
            Russian USB 3.0 info

This is translated by Google:

At random, tried everything decided to try to set the path to the firmware, copy the folder 64 in the root of drive C, then from the command line, run proshivalschik W200FW23
            with keys / srom 4 / write C: / 64/F302508.mem C: / 64/cfg.ini/address 02-00-00 (this is the address of my first controller USB 3.0) and everything was flashing, and then I repeated the procedure for second controller with address 03-00-00, rebutnul comp, went to the USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility and looked at the firmware version, it changed to 302 in May , but the latter has been 3.0.2.7.0.8, so I've found the one that downloaded from here: www.station-drivers.com/page/nec.htm unzipped into a folder, took out UPDATE.mem (this is the firmware the latest version) and copied it to the C drive in folder 64 and repeated the firmware on both heads again, reboot again - -> USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility and voila, the 3027 firmware anywhere. Here are just a poser with a complete shutdown companies remained, yusbishniki did not plow when you first start, but after reboot, probably all a matter of bios version ...

I trying to interpret. I extracted the F302708FWUP1.exe and there is a program named W200FWUP_x64.exe, w200fwup.ini, Update.mem.
            Last edited by dcronshaw; 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM. Reason: URL in Russian

Comment

It should be so:
              W200FW23.exe___/srom___4___/write___C:/64/F302508.mem___C:/64/cfg.ini___/address___02-00-00
              or:
              W200FW23.exe___/srom___4___/write___C:/64/UPDATE.mem___C:/64/cfg.ini___/address___02-00-00
              (replace underlines with spaces)
              Last edited by bahram_alinezhad; 05-18-2011, 06:30 AM.

Comment

I emailed ASRock support and they said "Unfortunately ASrock does not have driver nor support for Any Linux OS.". I replied with I think it is a bios issue since I cannot boot a USB 3.0 flash drive. I have not heard back from ASRock. I also emailed NEC and did not hear back from them also.

Comment

Originally posted by bahram_alinezhad View Post
                  It should be so:
                  W200FW23.exe /srom 4 /write C:/64/F302508.mem C:/64/cfg.ini /address 02-00-00
                  or:
                  W200FW23.exe /srom 4 /write C:/64/UPDATE.mem C:/64/cfg.ini /address 02-00-00
                  Thanks! I am on my way to work. I will look at it tonight.

Comment

Wonder what motherboard he was using and where did he find the address 02-00-00? What is SROM 4? Would my address be f9-ef-e0 and f9-ff-e0 based off the info below?

This is my PCI info from Linux:

03:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation Unknown device 0194 (rev 03) (prog-if 30)
                    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Unknown device 0194
                    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
                    Memory at f9efe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
                    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
                    Capabilities: [70] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-
                    Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable+ Mask- TabSize=8
                    Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
                    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
                    Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff
                    Capabilities: [150] #18
                    Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

04:00.0 USB Controller: NEC Corporation Unknown device 0194 (rev 03) (prog-if 30)
                    Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Unknown device 0194
                    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 51
                    Memory at f9ffe000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
                    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
                    Capabilities: [70] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-
                    Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable+ Mask- TabSize=8
                    Capabilities: [a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
                    Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
                    Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff
                    Capabilities: [150] #18
                    Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

Comment

It's like he used a different .exe. I tried everyone in the folder and they all keep popping up the licence agreement and ignoring the parameters.

Comment

Dear dcronshaw,

Please kindly provide your e-mail for me.
                        I will send the beta BIOS to you for testing.

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
                        ASRock TSD Emily

Comment

Originally posted by ASRock TSD - Emily View Post

Have a nice day
                          ASRock TSD Emily
                          Emily: Why not to public for all?!

Comment

Dear dcronshaw,

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
                            ASRock TSD Emily
                            I sent you a PM around 1:00pm EST with my email address. Thanks again!

Comment

Dear dcronshaw,

Thanks for your help!

Have a nice day
                              ASRock TSD Emily
                              That fixed it mostly! Thank you!!!! One at a time, I tried booting off my ADATA S102 USB 3.0 flash drive using all of the USB ports. The only ports that it would not boot off are the RED colored USB 2.0 ports on the back panel. I think they are labeled on page 3 of the manual as USB45. I hit F11 for the boot menu and it does not recognize the USB 3.0 flash drive in neither RED USB port. I tried booting using the RED USB ports using my older Kingston USB 2.0 flash drive and it boots fine. Can that be fixed?

When I booted up Windows from my hard drive, the NEC USB 3.0 Host Controller Information said the firmware was still at 3021 for both controllers. Isn't there a newer firmware 3.0.2.7.0.8? NEC/RENESAS USB3 Controller has the download. I thought I would ask since others would like to know. Thanks again!

Drew

Comment

Working...
                              X