Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

890GX Extreme3 Mainboard -> Can't play games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 890GX Extreme3 Mainboard -> Can't play games.

Last week I bought a new CPU fan (Cooler Master V8) and after I reinstalled my Win 7 x64 I can't play anything for long. What I mean is, after 2-5 min I get a lot of visual errors like black lines which move through the whole screen. They aren't sticky. When I reboot the system it's alright till I start any game. If I don't reboot, I get a black screen and can't do anything except restarting the system.

Maybe it's the north bridge that's to hot now. I've checked it and it's not in the air flow, because the V8 cooler is to high. I can't even touch the north bridge because it's too hot. Anyone any ideas?

Thnaks in advance.

Re: 890GX Extreme3 Mainboard -> Can't play games.

I've just installed a small BIOS fan from a very old mainboard. Now I can play some games longer... but nevertheless, the bridge is still hot. What should I do? Buy another bridge cooler?

Comment

Are you using onboard graphics? If not you can get some air flow by moving your graphics card to the pcie slot that's further from the north bridge. Also you didn't tell much about your other hardware (case/memory etc.) and you didn't tell if you are overclocking.

Edit:
      Just noticed you are overclocking. Try stock clocks if the games run stable. The symptoms you described normally points to GPU memory frequency being too high.
      Last edited by AsrockNewbie; 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM.
      Fractal Design Define R5 Black , Nexus 950W , Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS , i7 3770k @4.2GHz , 120x240mm water cooling
      32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill PC-14900 CL10 , EVGA GTX970 Hybrid .
      2x Samsung 830 128GB SSD in raid 0 for operating system and games 1x Seagate 1.8TB drive for storage

Comment

CPU_Z tells everything you need. I've solved the problem by replacing the passive cooler through an active one. I also got the problem without oc.

Best regards, IS

Comment

Working...
        X