Missing LAN adapter on p67 extreme4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing LAN adapter on p67 extreme4?

Hey everybody. I recently had a motherboard die on me and I replaced it with a P67 extreme4 board. I booted up the system without reformatting so I could get to some files I wanted to save. Everything seemed to work fine until I ran a Windows update then I lost internet connection. I tried the troubleshooter on windows 7 and it said it could not find a network adapter. I tried installing the driver update from asrock and it also said it could not find a network adapter. The light on the network adapter is on, but nothing seems to be working. I tried reformatting and the same problem seems to be occurring. Any idea what the problem is and how to fix it?

Re: Missing LAN adapter on p67 extreme4?

I had the same problem. I figured out that the problem was coming from installing an optional Windows Update (Accusys) that then bricked the LAN port.

I have had to install the driver a few times (when messing around with overclocking), which is very annoying. Hopefully the next set of drivers/bios fixes it.

Comment

Do not install the ACCUSYS driver from Windows update. This will break the ASMedia PCIe-PCI Bridge and stop a few devices from working. Uninstall that trouble device in the device manager (check remove device software), and restart the computer. Allow Windows to automatically detect and install the ASMedia controller (and the associated PLX ExpressLane PCIe 2.0 Switches).

Comment

Been wrestling with this issue all day... still yet to find a work around after installing the update. Is there a simple way to rollback all Windows Updates or am I going to have to do a full reboot? The network adapter is still not appearing, can't install drivers, and device manager has nothing left for me to uninstall or remove...

Comment

Are you able to post a screenshot or picture of your device manager Including expanding any raid storage controllers?

Comment

Dear all,

Please kindly refer to below steps to remove "Accusys Inc–Storage- ACS- 6xxxx" for testing.

Step1. Click "Start" -> "Computer" -> "Manage"

Step2. Click "Device Manager" -> "ACS-6xxxx" -> "Properites"

Step3. Click "Uninstall" -> "OK"

Step4. Enable "Delete the driver software for this device" option and then press "OK".

The update is not the necessary, please don't worry about it will caused any side effect.
            Thanks!

Have a nice day
            Sean

Comment

Comment

The diagnosis is simple. The network adapter on the board should always show up in the device manager. There is a special case with the PCIe bridge on the board in which everything "attached" to that bridge would disappear if it was uninstalled or mis-configured.

In your case, if the card can't be seen in the Device Manager and nothing in the system is changing the system hardware or drivers, you have a faulty board or failing chip. I actually had this exact problem on the first revision of the X58 Extreme board because too much heat near the CPU/VRMs would cause the network chip to fail. Adding extra cooling (heatsink/fan) solved the problem and it was also addressed in future revisions of the board from the manufacturer. If you are sure you don't have any overheating issues on the motherboard near the small realtek network chip, then I suggest returning (RMA) the board for warranty and replace service.

As for the wireless not working... the board doesn't come with wireless built in so that's a third party problem.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a cooler master hyper 212 and I don't think it's a cooling issue. I'll have to check the temps to be sure, though. If it was a cooling issue, wouldn't the adapter show up in the device manager and resume normal operation when the pc is started up after it has been left off over nite?

I wasn't clear about what the "internet" problem was I was referring to. My internet works as I am using a laptop with wireless connection to post this message since my pc has no connection. I simply meant that I had no internet connection because the wifi adapter was non-operational.

In the mean time, is there a utility that I can run to verify that the problem is the motherboard instead of springing for a new wireless adapter to rule the adapter out?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I think you mean Ethernet adapter and not WiFi as WiFi is wireless technology.

If the chip was failing due to overheating, then after cooling down it may return to a functioning condition if the chip wasn't permanently damaged. If you have unknown or devices that show up with problems in device manager, then it might be a Windows/BIOS configuration problem. A BIOS reset and update with no special tweaks or overclocking (besides SATA to AHCI/RAID mode) can help verify if it's an internal resource problem... which Windows and the current hardware should have absolutely no problem configuring at boot.

You can rule out some Windows configuration issue by using a "Live" Linux DVD (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, or Fedora) which will contain support for the chipset and RealTek ethernet controllers. However the case still remains that if the controller does not show up at all, then the controller is dead and needs to be replaced. Since it's integrated, the entire board goes.

If you don't want to replace that board, you can buy an PCI or PCIe ethernet card or use a USB ethernet or wireless adapter.

Comment

You mentioned having an aftermarket CPU cooler. This would be good for cooling the CPU but it does not help (so much) in cooling the motherboard, VRM, or LAN chip set, etc. Heat or power problems may still be the issue.

Comment

I think the approach i'll take is to reset and update the BIOS, first. If the adapter shows up after, i'll try to duplicate the conditions leading up to the failure and monitor the temps. I do note that the problem is always preceded by a crash while playing my FPS game on max settings so overheating could be the culprit, notwithstanding that the PC runs on normal settings with no tweeks or overclocking. If you think a different approach would be more effective, please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

I tried to flash the BIOS but could not get that to work. I then reset the BIOS to the default setting and the network adapter then appeared and worked right after my last post until last night when my PC hung while playing the same FPS game. It seem to work for a long time before quiting on me last nite. I had to hit the hard reset button and when the PC booted up again, my network adapter card was gone. Several restarts (even after the pc was off for several hours) failed to resolve the problem. I then reset the BIOS to default to see if that would work and it didn't. The network adapter is still missing. I think I'll try to figure out why I can't seem to flash the BIOS and get that squared away before moving on to the decision of returning the board or working around the problem with an external usb adapter.

Comment

Working...
                          X