ASRock Extreme4 vs Extreme6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Extreme4 vs Extreme6

I really want to get one of these 2 boards, but I keep having this nagging suspicion that there is a problem here. I plan to crossfire a pair of Asus 6850 DirectCU, which are 2 slot cards. In another forum some members mentioned that getting an extra sound card in here would be impossible. Since I am doing a first ever build I would like to know.

Posting at 3am has its downside and I forgot to ask an actual question. My actual question is, are either of these boards better laid-out to be able to have add-on cards in a crossfire set-up?
    Last edited by livetaswim06; 01-25-2011, 12:13 PM.

Re: ASRock Extreme4 vs Extreme6

I have the P67 Extreme6 and can say that the heatsink cover for the p67 chipset (next to the CPU) will block a sound card from being installed. However, the cover can be removed simply by pulling it off as it's just held on by an adhesive which will allow for a very tight clearance to install a PCIe x1 card closest to the CPU.

If you install a PCIe x1 card in the middle slot, the bottom most PCIex16 slot will only work at 2x (instead of 4x as advertised). Most devices will back down to 1x speed only.

It is possible to run 2 dual slot VGA cards on this board and include a sound card in either 1x or 16x bottom slot without a problem.

Comment

Re: ASRock Extreme4 vs Extreme6

Just an update...

It is possible to install an add on card in the first PCIe 1x slot (closest to CPU) but you will have to remove the P67 Chipset heatsink cover which is held on by tape adhesive. Even then, the tolerance space for the PCIe card and the heatsink fans are very tight, maybe 1-2mm.

It is not possible to fit a Noctua NH-D14 in with a card in the first PCIe 1x slot as the heatsink is big enough to touch and push on the PCIe card.

Comment

Working...
      X