Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58 Extreme 6 mobo troubles

Hello,

I know this is a pretty new board but I am hoping that some of the older ASRock's might have done the same thing so...

My primary gaming rig was an I7-920 Bloomfield running on a DFI Lanparty board with all the trimmings. A couple weeks back she died on me so I naturally thought dead MB and from all the test I ran on the DFI, it looked that way. So I went ahead and bought an Extreme6 board and slapped her in.

When I fire her up, the Debug reading stays on 00, all the fans are firing up, both hard drives are spooling up but no video. Unless this thing POST's without changing the debug LED's I am pretty sure she is not posting at all as I am getting no error beeps or anything.

I have triple checked all the power and cable connections and everything seems to be hooked up correctly along with all of the various header and board connections.

I am starting to lean towards a bad CPU but since that is a very RARE occurance I was wondering if there is anything else I may have overlooked? I have never had a board not even begin the POST process. Would a bad CPU cause that? I would think it would at least start its POST before getting to the CPU error.

Before I start tearing everything down again. I don't have another I7 CPU on had to run tests and before I shell out more money for one, I would like to see if anybody had suggestions.

My rig: I7-920 Bloomfield w/ Zalman cooler
    OCZ PC-1600 DDR3 (its on the compatable RAM list on ASRocks website)
    X58 Extreme 6
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
    Thermaltake 900W PWR

Thx.

Grognard

Comment

Re: X58 Extreme 6 mobo troubles

I reset the BIOS and checked every connection on the board that I could see and did not find anything obvious that would be shorted. Everything looks to be properly grounded, there are screws in every ATX fastener hole.

If somebody out there can at least give me an answer on this point... will the Debug LED read 00 before it starts the POST? I don't remember if my DFI board did that or not. For it to properly go through its POST, I should be seeing the hex numbers changing for a couple of seconds before it completes POST and boots.. right? I have never owned an ASRock MB before but I assume it would do that.

Also.. has anyone ever had a CPU totally die on them before? Would a totally dead CPU cause the MB not to even start POST?

Thx

Grognard

Comment

Working...
      X