Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X58 Extreme3 with Intel Xeon X5550 and registered DDR3 Ram (or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58 Extreme3 with Intel Xeon X5550 and registered DDR3 Ram (or not)

Hi, I have from a Intel server board a XEON X5550 processor (2666 MHz, Nehalem-EP with CPU stepping B0) and 6 4GB DDR3 1333 MHz (10666) registered RAM modules. All together did run very well on the Intel server board (2 X5550 and 2x 24GB of registered DDR3 RAM but without PCI express support for graphic card). Therefore I will use a single X5550 on the Asrock X58 Extreme 3. The processor runs very well on the X58 Extreme 3 but the board (Bios?) will not support the registered DDR3 RAM (even the memory controler in the CPU can support the RAM like on the server board). The X58 Extreme 3 will only run with the X5550 and unbuffered RAM (ok, like descibed in the specification). The board (Bios) will at start up not recognize the registered RAM and will not step forward even the CPU could support the registered RAM. Is there any possibility in Bios so that a XEON CPU X5550 with internal memory controler supporting registered DDR3 RAM will run on a single CPU X58 Extreme 3 SOCK 1366? This question is not going to some other users, maybe ASRock Tech Support Staff can help.
    My other configuration (currently running):
    QuadCore Intel Xeon X5550 2666MHz Nehalem-EP CPU stepping B0
    3x2 GB Corsair (maybe 6x 4GB 10666 registered DDR3 ?)
    ATI 5770
    Harddisk Samsung 1.5TB

Thank you and best regards
    Michael

Re: X58 Extreme3 with Intel Xeon X5550 and registered DDR3 Ram (or not)

Hi Michael,

The X58 chipset does not support registered memory so no BIOS update will help in this case. I'm assuming that your Intel server board is not of X58 chipset but most likely it's chipset is 55XX, which is why it does support registered RAM. Intel states that for the 1366 socket, only chipset series 55xx supports registered memory.

Comment

Re: X58 Extreme3 with Intel Xeon X5550 and registered DDR3 Ram (or not)

You can use ECC Unbuffered memory but not registered memory in an X58 board. To use Registered memory, the system must be a dual processor package or better which would require the use of the intel 5000 series chipset.

Comment

Working...
      X