• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM only works in Single Channel mode. 870 Extreme 3 Motherboard

I'm using the following:

ASRock 870 Extreme 3
    AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
    G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 (2x2 PC3-10666) (8-8-8-24 Timing)

The only way I can get the rig to POST is with the RAM in a Single-Channel configuration, slots A1 (Blue) and B1 (White).

If I go A1 and A2 (Blue) or B1 and B2 (White), the LED indicator on the motherboard will either give a d0 (Go to flat mode with 4GB limit and G20 enabled), whatever that means, or it will cycle through various d codes over and over again.

Are my slots dead? Is there something wrong with the DIMMs? Am I losing a lot by runnig single channel?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by WilsonTech; 09-03-2010, 09:37 PM.

Re: RAM only works in Single Channel mode. 870 Extreme 3 Motherboard

First thing I would do is use a process of elimination...

Try testing each stick individually to determine whether one stick is defective. Run memtest86+ on individual stick. Do they both pass?

Take 1 stick that checks out good and test in each slot of the motherboard. Does it POST in every slot?

If everything checks out, checking the RAM timings and voltage in the BIOS. Perhaps easing up the timings may help.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks Jaws. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Comment

So I tried both sticks on each slot and my A2 and B2 definitely don't pick them up. No POST for either slot.

Is it common for 2 slots to be bad like this? Maybe I'm just missing something. Something in BIOS maybe? Do I need to enable something, or should I contact ASRock and RMA it?

Comment

You didn't lose a screw under that MB did you? ...just kidding. I guess it's possible to have 2 bad slots, a common problem, I doubt it.

You don't have to do anything in the BIOS to run dual channel memory. I'd start the RMA process.

Sorry for the bad luck.

Comment

Ugh, probably should have made sure of this before I tied everything down.

Almost don't want to send it back. Is dual-channel that much better?

I've heard that the speed increases can be up to 5%, but I'm not sure I'd notice that. Only thing that sucks is that I won't be able to add more RAM in the future.

Comment

We have seen where the CPU can cause this. Try removing the CPU and check all the pins. If a pin is broken off it can cause a memory dual channel issue. We have seen this several times. The dual channel memory controller is in the cpu. Below is just a small example of the cpu causing the dual memory problem issue. You can google this and see where alot of times it's the cpu. It's not always a broken or bad pin either. Sometimes the cpu is just faulty. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031790777
              http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
              http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
              Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
              Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
              Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
              4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
              (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
              (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
              (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
              Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
              Mid size ATX case with show through panel
              2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
              Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
              Logitech G500 USB mouse
              Monitor: CMV937A
              7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
              Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Hmmm... I did buy this CPU open box and when I installed it, one or 2 pins were bent...

I'll take it back Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                X