Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Asrock have BIOS support for IOMMU for its 890FX Deluxe3 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will Asrock have BIOS support for IOMMU for its 890FX Deluxe3 ??

What exactly is your (detailed) setup hardware-wise and software-wise ? Any multi-boot between Linux. Xen, Windows etc ?
    I'm really curious !! Any positive or negative experiences you could share with us ?

Comment

Personally I would like to use KVM instead of Xen for IOMMU graphic card assignment (for a Windows guest) but this feature is not ready yet - see Re: GPGPU passthrough in linux kvm -- Linux KVM.
      And IOMMU support for VirtualBox ain't ready (is it even decided on?) either...

Comment

I run Linux Debian with xen 4 and the following guests:
        - Win Server 2008 R2
        - Linux PV Debian (3x)
        - Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Comment

And the hardware (CPU, amount of RAM, PCI(e) cards etc) plugged in on the Asrock Deluxe3 ?

And the IOMMU is used for ???

Comment

I use an AMD 1090T (Phenom II X6) CPU, a Intel PCI 82540 Gigabit Ethernet, an AMD Radeon HD 4850X2 and a Realtek 8139 PCI Network Card.
            IOMMU is used for the Radeon 4850X2 and the onboard Sound and the Intel NIC passed to the Win7 guest. The Realtek Network Card is passed to a Debian Linux (for Internet Connection and Firewall)

Comment

Some serious hw you have !
              How much RAM then ? And how much RAM do you assign to the Win7 guest ?
              Are you happy with Win7's speed (near-native) ?
              Any problems or is it all smooth sailing ?

Comment

8GB RAM installed, 4GB to wIn7 guest, 1GB to Win2k8 and Rest for the linux guests.

Speed of Win7 guest is good. I make Video cutting and transcoding with it. Well, transcoding is done on the GPU of the Radeon and this is of course native performance. Hard Disk Speed is a little lower then native, but there are 8 HDDs on a 3ware Raid-Controller as Raid 6 so there is really enough performance.

Comment

Oh dear, oh dear ! Only 8 hdds and on a 3ware !
                  What's your profession then ? Self-employed IT consultant, video maker or what ?!?!

Comment

;-)
                    Yes, 8 x 1TB HDD ;-)
                    Video is hobby and Rest ist hobby and self-employed IT consultant, you are right. But this computer is "only" the playground, testing environment and for hobby use...

Comment

What's your real day-to-day work machine(s) then ? (I hardly dare to ask ...)

Comment

a desktop, a notebook and the one or other rack with "some" servers....

Comment

OK!
                          I thought it would be one of the top500.org's ;-)

Comment

Well... hm... I have acces to 2 of the actual list (not top 100) and one which was in the list in the past. And yes, it makes fun ;-)

bit this is a little off topic....

Comment

OK!
                              Have a nice day and likewise life !

Comment

Hi,
                                I cannot find any info about IOMMU in the Asrock website.
                                Is IOMMU enable in BIOS 1.5F only? or is it available in newer BIOS versions?

Thanks,
                                Leonardo

Comment

Working...
                                X