Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [color=red
    Unregistered[/color]]
    Re-install the operating system ? I'll say this nicely, ARE YOU STOOPID ? Did aol tell you to say that too ? Do you always re-install an o/s for something as simple as this ? Everyone in your country must be re-installing o/s's if that's the answer you give to very simple questions/problems. Must be why I need "a bit more patience"..........
    1/ NO I AM NOT STOOPID as when making changes like that I write down the original settings so if it does work I can change it BACK (Always rule No.1).

2/ The author has been offline for a while so it's hard for him to answer atm isn't it? :mad:

Comment

Question: Why are you playing with the L2 cache settings? As stated before, if Windows is reporting the amount of cache wrong, then you simply enter the correct value. Do you remember what the original setting was? Can you put this back in?

Next time you decide to start a thread, can you please explain your problem fully. Don't just say 'I must entering data in "Hexadecimal mode" or "Decimal mode" '. One line to describe your problems doesn't help at all. Tell us what you are trying to do, what you have done, and what's not working. The main reason this thread hardly got any replies is because people weren't sure exactly what you wanted help with. A couple were nice enough to take a guess, but apart from that, you didn't give us much..

So, if you would kindly tell us what's wrong in some detail, then maybe we can give you the help that you're asking for.

As for the AOL remarks up further, that's a general insult to all the people that use AOL... which I firmly stand by myself. They weren't blaming AOL for the problem. It's the user they were refering to.

Finally, like most people know, playing with settings like this is done at your own risk. If you can't manage to do it properly, or don't fully understand the implications of what you are doing, then leave it. Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Comment

Most modern CPU's have the L2 Cache on-die, as you are using Win XP I am assuming your hardware is not too aged.
        Check your processor specifications to determine what the correct L2 settings should be for your CPU.

On older processors the L2 was located on the motherboard, in which case you would check the motherboard documentation.

It would be rather innapropriate for me to just blurt out a number for you to utilize as a proper setting for your L2 Cache.
        Unlike AOL - system tweaking isn't a one size fits all answer.

Sometimes you may be required to think for yourself, particularly if you desire your system to operate at it's peak performance capacity.

Hint:
        Intel processors beginning with the PentiumII, and the Celeron 300A utilize on-die L2 Cache.
        AMD processors use of on-die L2 Cache began with the K6-III.

Any processors prior to those generations would depend on L2 Cache incorporated into the motherboard.

The XP tweaking article was to apply the appopriate amount of L2 Cache in case Windows XP had detected it incorrectly. As in some cases XP has been reported to have this deficiency.

At this point it would seem that you were blindly changing the values of the L2 within the OS. (If you have no idea what the correct value is, why would you proceed to change it?)
        Wishing your system had 1.5GB of L2 Cache won't make it so. Randomly entering values for the L2 is simply abuse of your computer.

The amount of L2 Cache is a definitely defined quantity, these days based upon the processor you are using.
        At this point, some basic system specifications are in order. These specifications need to be supplied to us, by you, if we are to be able to in any way be of assistance in this matter.

It is posts like yours that are exactly responsible for the reputation that AOL victims have. For some reason, the ability to enter a Domain Name Server into the appropriate boxes in order to properly configure a computer to access an ISP seems to carry over into every aspect of computing.
        Why do AOL users seem to be incapable of comprehending a simple guide, or even have a basic working knowledge of the hardware incorporated into their PC?
        AOL is absolutely right, "it's easy!", but now that you are trying to better yourself and leave their cozy little nest, it is time for you to acquire a bit of knowledge about computers and what makes them tick.

I applaud you for your curiosity/interest.
        Let's work together and we can get through this.

And in so much as reinstalling the OS fixing things - the blame for that falls squarely on MicroSoft's shoulders.
        However in this case, I don't think that will even remotely be neccessary. Just some specs for your CPU, and we can get this all fixed up - quick, fast, and in a hurry:thumb:
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
        X