tired of calling M$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tired of calling M$

I'm getting very tired of calling M$ everytime I reinstall winXP.

just to know if I've got this right, if I save 'wpa.dbl' after I activate (like I did today) and replace it after I install next time....that takes care of me calling up m$ again, right? is there anything else I need to do?

I'm not trying to pirate winxp or go down the warez road...i'm just sick and tired of calling up M$

my next OS will most definatly me some flavor of Linux (RH8?)

:p :rolleyes: :cool: I know calling M$ is like talking to a parrot......hello this is tech support my name is mike....hi I'm having a problem with windows....mike: so your having a problem with windows? yes I am...mike? ok what kind of problem? well, I can't get one of your games to run. mike: which game do you have? me: mechcommander2 . mike: ok have you changed any settings? me: no I haven't I just got the computer 1 week ago I haven't messed with anything anywhere I've already check dxdiag, I've run scandisk,defrag, I've checked the device manager, I tried chaning the hardware acceleration in the perforamnce profile in the device manager. Mike: ok lets check the dxdiag, and run scandisk again. That kind of $}{1t makes me really piseed with their tech support.

Comment

i never call M$ for tech support, if I can't fix it myself...and I usually can...I'll find someone who can. The only thing I call them for is to activate this pos. So I take it you either wont or can't answer my question? : peace2:

Comment

This Product Activation FAQ should help you. It describes all the thing you should do before and after a re-install.
        Do take care that those FAQ's don't apply on OEM version.
        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
        Last Updated:
        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
        ======================
        jabber : [email protected]
        =======================
        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
        yabaa dabaa doo...
        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

thanks, this isn't an OEM

Comment

i skimmed though it....so basically I can't simply replace the 2 files after formating and installing...next time I do this I will have to call M$ again...oh well

Comment

I'm answering this on the basis that legitimate WinXP users don't want to reactive everytime they reinstall XP on the same hardware.

Basically you only need to back up the WPA.DBL file and restore it to avoid having to call MS for reactivation. Note however that this only works if you have made NO hardware changes to your system - that is, you're simply reinstalling XP on the exact same system.

If you've made any changes, even just a minor one, then this won't work.
              My Machine

Comment

thank you, that's all I wanted to know :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                X