Windows Longhorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Longhorn

The next release of windows codenamed "longhorn" has been released... Its already been leaked out, the alpha realease actually, the final version is to be shipped out some time early 06 .. anyone got to play with it yet?.... if so how does it look and is it stable..

Jinu Johnson

here is a good link that I've found on longhorn http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_alpha.asp

Jinu Johnson

Comment

I shoould have the leak somtime next week. It isn't exactly easy to get your hands on. Its still very early in the stages anyhow. They havent even emplemented the new file system yet. So far its pretty much XP with a little different look.

Have you seen the new right hand toolbar yet? What a joke!! LOL. It looks like that nasty MSN link bar that was implemented in the old days of Windows 98.

Comment

haha very true it does look like that msn sidebar ... all I want from this O.S is that it should be stable, no driver issues and backward compatibility...but this is MS so keeping me fingers crossed.

But what worries me is that it will be integrated with palladium architecture, so Im a lil paranoid about that.

Jinu Johnson

Comment

Remember all the crap about how Whistler (XP) was going to look and how everyone was whining about it being terrible and looking worse than Win98?

Microsoft is a large company intent on making bundles of money. I'm sure they'll listen to feedback and refine the interface and functionality, just like they did with XP, to the point where most people prefer it over XP.

This is one of the reasons I hate leaked alphas - they're virtually useless in determining what the final product will be like in the case of an OS. All they do is give people like The Inquirer something to post about...
          My Machine

Comment

You are right about whistler... I remember asking myself why would anyone ever want to buy this??....

Talking about longhorn what do you think about the integration with palladium architecture.. thats really bothers me.. If they implemet all the stuff that they are saying they might do .. then I feel its an upgrade that I will never make....

Jinu Johnson

Comment

You are deffinently right that leaked alpha's are useless. But, I also think that they are fun at the same time because you are able to see some of the thousands of ideas that really do go into making an OS. I always have wondered though if it is not Microsofts intent to let these alpha versions of Windows into the public. Think about it. Since little to none of the features actually make it to the final 1.0 product what do they care. It gets people like us excited and we build up the OS untill its release and then buy it. It seems to me like a pretty damn good marketing strategy!!!

Comment

Alphas are fun because everyone feels like they're in on a big secret.

However I doubt many (if any) companies leak alphas (or even early betas) on purpose because it confuses their potential customers. People often don't realise just how unprogressed the software is, and start believing that the final will be just as slow/ugly/buggy etc.

It's kinda like someone looking at an essay you wrote when it was in its first draft and takes that as your best effort - embarrassing to say the least.

Beta drivers on the other hand are often leaked on purpose...not naming any major graphics companies. That's because testing drivers is a chore and leaking a solid beta can save lots of hours of testing without major user upset, because they usually work ok.

Anyway that's the way I see it :)
                My Machine

Comment

Working...
                X