using remote connection on winxp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using remote connection on winxp

I have two XP machines on the same home network, and I'm trying to use the remote control feature of winxp to control one with the other.

I have the remote desktop connection program on both systems, but I'm unable to successfully connect. It tells me there are no terminal services currently being run on the network.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Microsoft's website made it sound like once you had the client installed, it would work. (I set the host machine to allow remote control in control panel->system->remote)

Any advice? Thanks ahead.

Check to make sure that the neccessary services are set to auto in services.msc (Just type services.msc into the run command) . That has given me problems with remote desktop connection in the past. There are several different services that cannot be turned to off or manual.

Comment

Yep it's likely a needed service is not set to Automatic.

As suggested, go to Start>Run, type "services.msc" (without quotes) and check this definitive services guide for details:

BlackViper's Services Guide
      My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
        Yep it's likely a needed service is not set to Automatic.

As suggested, go to Start>Run, type "services.msc" (without quotes) and check this definitive services guide for details:

BlackViper's Services Guide
        aside from the service you may need to enable remote desktop. right click on my computer .. properties. then click on th remote tab and make sure there is a checkbox next to allow users to connect remotely to this computer.

you may want to make sure that all user accounts on the box have password if you have a completely open internet connection with no firewall.

Comment

Working...
        X