Changing IRQ's on winXP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing IRQ's on winXP

I recently had a lot of problems with playing videos on my pc... it started out fine but all of a sudden the pc just froze.. no error messages, no nothing.. only thing i could do was press the reset button...

But then i found out that my graphix card, my sound card, the usb-ports, the network adaptor and one other thing all use IRQ 11... and i cant figure out how to change it...

as a temporary solution i disabled the usb-ports and the network adapter wich i dont use anyway and it hasnt crashed in videos since, but i'd really like to change the irq's instead..

I run WinXP with SP1...

i would like to have solution to that problem too...
    network card and USB controller both have same IRQ.
    no probs till now but who knows when the windows starts to act funny
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

How many pieces of hardware does windows want to run on IRQ5?? Doesn't seem to cause any problems though. Plays UT2003 fine and 3D Mark 2001SE of over 10,000.
      But then again it would be nice to even the IRQ's out a bit. I did try removing ACPI at one time as somebody said it would allow you to change IRQ's in device manager like in win98. But guess what, it didn't work and a full re-install was required to get ACPI back so that my PC could turn itself off without me having to push the off button!! Somebody must know! Can you force the IRQ's for PCI cards in the BIOS?

Comment

I believe that you have to reinstall winxp to get the manual assigned IRQ, that way you can assign your IRQ.

Comment

You don't need to reinstall XP to reassign IRQs. In fact reinstalling Windows is unlikely to change IRQs at all.

You can do it in the BIOS as per my previous instructions to you. As I said you need to move hardware around where possible, disabled as many unused devices as possible in Device Manager and the BIOS and use the "Reset Configuration Data" (or similar) option in your BIOS to see if the IRQs are reassigned. It's tricky but it's the only way I know how.
          My Machine

Comment

Working...
          X