What Are *.cpy Files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are *.cpy Files?

WHAT ARE *.CPY FILES? I AM INSTALLING NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2003 AND IT IS DOING AN EMERGENCY VIRUS REPAIR AND IT SCANS *.CPY FILES IN MY RESTORE_ TEMP FOLDER. IS THIS NORMAL? IT TAKES FOREVER!!!!! DO I NEED THESE FILES? WILL IT SCAN EVERY FILE I HAVE? I HAVE ME, IF THAT HELPS.
    SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I AM NOT SCREAMING.
    THANKS

It would be nicer to turn ya caps lock off though. ;)

These files are all part of System Restore (and can sometimes go wild). :)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok, so do I need these files? Will the anti-virus scan more files?

Comment

You can remove the files but you'll have no restore points then and if this doesn't bother ya then turn System Restore off and it will stop generating these files all together. ;)
        MEss can generate up to 700MB of these files. :eek:

Comment

I wouldn't delete those restore files.
          If you don't want to have too many restore points you can change the settings to how many it stores/or for how long.
          I just think they come in handy when you have problems that you can't fix yourself.
          I use ME too and I found those restore points can come in pretty darn handy on the odd occassion. But, it's your choice.:D

Comment

I'm not familiar with the ins 'n' outs of Norton, but isn't there a method of excluding these files from the scan?

I mean, these files are in essence backups - and it is somewhat reasonable to assume if the AV is used that the info there has been scanned already ---- or, is that not correct?

anyone:?:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

These files are completly regenerated every so often as old ones are dropped and new ones added.

Comment

That's true.
                I have my set so that I can go back for about 3 months. Sometimes it can come in very handy. But its up to you how many restore points you want to create, but it will create a restore point by itself when a new program is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo's-sister
                  That's true.
                  I have my set so that I can go back for about 3 months. Sometimes it can come in very handy. But its up to you how many restore points you want to create, but it will create a restore point by itself when a new program is installed.
                  Going back 3 Months...:eek: ?
                  did u ever do that?
                  I like keeping just the latest restore point so as to have least space clogged up. Only time i might need a restore point is when some of my experiment goes wrong...:p
                  Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                  Last Updated:
                  10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                  ======================
                  jabber : [email protected]
                  =======================
                  Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                  yabaa dabaa doo...
                  Customized for 1024x768

Comment

With some of the experimenting I've been doing of late, it's not a bad idea to keep it as long as you can. Just in case the inevitable happens. *which in my case is very likely.*

Comment

Be kind of like having your own time machine too:geek:

You can go back and say, "Hey, I remember messing around with that POS program, what a waste of my valuable time.".

:laugh:
                      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Sometimes just the day b4 I installed that heap of s**t program that changed all my settings is a much better day to appreciate.

Comment

Heap of s**t installed in just one day...:eek:
                          you are far better at these experiments than me...i usually install one proggy at one time...
                          may be thats why i never needed a 3 month old system restore point...:)
                          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                          ======================
                          jabber : [email protected]
                          =======================
                          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

You mis-interpreted what I said. I meant that just one program can be called a heap of s**t.

Comment

Working...
                            X