Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 - Automatic Repair - boots in 2nd cycle

Hello.
    So last time after i change in my UEFI boot priority (but on past it working fine ) from :"UEFI USB KINGSTON" to "P1 SSD SAMSUNG EVO 250 GB" i am getting weird booting problem with Windows 10.

Click image for larger version

Name:	m.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	756399

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc. Then after this i get screen with Your pc did not start correctly or Automatic Repair couldnt repair your pc . And when i click restart then Windows 10 boot fine. So i am needing 2 boots to boot properly to windows.

My disk is on MBR partirion. Is this related to my UEFI/Partitions?

Somebody said to me this:"UEFI booting requires a GPT disk. This is why Windows has to fix itself and only boots in 2nd cycle - as you keep trying to boot UEFI to an MBR disk."

Also i know that UEFI firmware can emulate BIOS functionality (CSM/Legacy) and work with MBR disks just fine. Or i am wrong? And cause is elsewhere?

I am a little confused. Thx for reply. My ssd Samsung Evo 250 GB , rams 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz.

Re: Windows 10 - Automatic Repair - boots in 2nd cycle

For me, when I had mbr formated boot drive (win10 + asrock Z97 Extreme6) I could only boot/startup properly when in CSM (bios compatibility mode). However, when I wanted to set my m.2 nvme ssd as boot drive, I had to switch to gpt format, as I could not use the m.2 device as a boot drive with mbr format. So long story short - most likely you need to have your boot drive gpt formatted to use EUFI. 2 helper links:

1) Basic info explaining EUFI/BIOS/CSM: https://www.happyassassin.net/2014/0...lly-work-then/

2) How to setup a EUFI bootable drive: How To Create A Bootable UEFI USB Drive With Windows 10 Setup

Comment

So i formatted disk this time to GPT , install again Windows 10 , now Windows booting from Windows Boot Manager fine without automatic repair.
      Tried switching few times between UEFI USB KINGSTON to P1:Samsung Evo 250 GB BOOT MANAGER to reproduce issue, and no automatic repair.
      But i want to know why it happened earlier just before format? That was still hardware issue? Thx for opinion. But i want to know why it happened before format. What caused this ,software ,hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by sew333 View Post
        So i formatted disk this time to GPT , install again Windows 10 , now Windows booting from Windows Boot Manager fine without automatic repair.
        Tried switching few times between UEFI USB KINGSTON to P1:Samsung Evo 250 GB BOOT MANAGER to reproduce issue, and no automatic repair.
        But i want to know why it happened earlier just before format? That was still hardware issue? Thx for opinion. But i want to know why it happened before format. What caused this ,software ,hardware?
        Well this is more of a "firmware" issue, in that EUFI (motherboard firmware) was specifically created to take advantage/provide advantage of GPT partitioned storage media (e.g., faster boot, larger storage space access, etc).

Comment

Working...
        X