Installing XP over XP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP over XP ?

I have several computers and built another to replace an older one.

I put XP Pro on it, from one of the other computers, to test out the new one.

Then installed programs and over my LAN I tranfered the data files, It's up and running fine.

Now I purched another copy of XP Pro for that computer. So it will be legal.

How do I install the new XP Pro without wiping out programs, data, and settings?

I tryed, seems like I had two choices Update and New Install. Update did not work, OS Serial # on new computer is the same as the old XP Pro program.

I did New Install once before, different computer, and it wiped everthing out. PAIN!

Not really sure on all this. Any help would be great.

:confused:

You can't.......this is why I hate reinstalling an OS. Its a pain. When you reinstall the OS the registry gets overwritten. Your settings go back to default. All your programs might still work but you'll have to reassociate everything!. Your add/remove list will be blank even though you have gigs worth of applications installed. And for that kind of stress when ever I have a probelm that requires a new fresh OS I'm always on the go for a format.

Comment

no need to move =P to lazy to anyhow..hehe j/k, it'll work staying in here

anyways, just dont go legit =)

Comment

Thanks for the fast responce and the help.

:) :( :) :( :) :(

Comment

You can't? You haven't read up on it then....

From the mouth of M$ themselves:

When you acquire a new Product ID for your Windows XP installation, follow these steps to change the Product Identification number:
          Start Windows XP.
          Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows to open the Windows Product Activation Wizard.
          Click Activate Windows by phone. Click change the product key, and then type the new Product ID.
          Click Activate over the Internet.
          Here's the full LINK

Comment

Working...
          X