Random Haswell BSOD Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re: Random Haswell BSOD Problems

Here is an update (copied from my post on the Microsoft Community Forum), enjoy .
    Good news and bad news on my end.
    I ran memtest for 18hrs (8 passes) and found no errors. Did a checkdisk on my HDD and found no errors and no repairs needed. Ran SeaTools and passed everything successfully. Then I found it and my god I wished I hadn't. After hours of trying to figure out just what is wrong and how it happened I remembered reading something on another forum. I recently used LiveUpdate 5.0 (MSI's official update utility) to flash my BIOS to the newest available version. Although within windows it seemed to report a successful flash, after looking throughly through my BIOS it became clearly apparent that it was faulty. I was going to attempt to restore it back the first BIOS version that it came with, but that's when $h*t hit the fan. Before we get to that I'd like to give you some info on what happened before I figured out my BIOS is faulty and how it got to that point. I was unable to run memtest from a USB drive directly and I am use to formatting EVERYTHING I possibly can to flash-drive (eliminated my need to keep dvd's around), I was stumbled as to why it wouldn't work but thought nothing of it and just decided to format it to a CD and it ran fine. So after some time I decided to say forget the possibility of software issues and decide to just bite the bullet make a backup of my files and reinstall windows with some fresh drivers. I formatted my USB with my dvd's ISO using WInToFlash as I usually for a clean install from a flash drive. When I restarted I got the same result as the memtest flash-drive, it begins the POST process as usual then hangs at "A2" and then wouldn't go any further. If I would unplug I could pass through POST just fine. So I decided to inspect my BIOS settings and found something worse than just an incorrect setting, In the UEFI click bios if I wen't up to the devices area at the top right all my devices load as "??", not a good sign I thought. So I went to go check if there was something wrong in my advanced setting (unlikely as I was running Optimized Defaults other than having XMP enabled), then I noticed where all my options for categories are suppose to be all I could see was "[ ]". I was about to attempt to take some screen shot to upload when I thought I'd try a few more things. Restore the default BIOS ROM was my first thought. So I backed up the original BIOS ROM to my flash drive and wanted to use M-FLASH to attempt to restore it. To no avail when I loaded up into the BIOS and chose the ROM from the M-FLASH area the system would just freeze and lockup. So I thought I'd try the MSI HQ USB BIOS Flash Tool, just as with the other bootable flash drives it would freeze at "A2" during POST if I tried to start the system with a flash drive plugged in. So with my hope of just returning BIOS to normal via flash gone I chose yet another alternative. I wanted to see if I could fix it by doing a simple clear CMOS before taking any screen shots of the weirdness within my BIOS. So after clearing the CMOS with nothing but a PS/2 keyboard plugged (figured I may as well see if unplugging all other devices would help) and now the system hangs no matter what at "A2" even if everything else is unplugged. So what I learned is MSI has a trash update software that ultimately will brick or corrupt your BIOS even if it report that it flash just fine. This is the last time I will ever buy an MSI product seeing as the board is only 4-5 months old, I really don't want to wait for an RMA for a product that I really don't care for at this point. If anyone knows how to fix this awful board let me know, keep in mind anything involving a USB is probably not going to work.
    Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 (SP1) - OS
    Intel i5-4670k Processor - CPU
    MSI Z87-G45 - Motherboard (BIOS version 1.6)
    Kingston HyperX Blu PC3-12800 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600MHz - RAM
    Antec TRUEPOWER QUATTRO 1000W - PSU
    MSI GTX770 N770 TF 2GD5/OC - GPU
    CM Storm Trooper Full Tower - Case
    ASUS VH238 23" 60Hz - Monitor

Comment

The long, not simple, BIOS/CMOS clearing method. Adjusted text for the MSI Z87-G45 using the online manual from MSI's website.

No guarantees but worth a shot.

1. Flip the PSU's rear switch to Off and then unplug power from the wall
      2. Wait for 1 minute
      3. Remove the CMOS battery
      4. Place a jumper on JBAT1 (Clear CMOS position)
      5. Let the Motherboard sit this way for half an hour, or overnight (If 1/2hr results don't work try leaving overnight)

Then -

1. Remove the jumper from JBAT1 (Default run position)
      2. Insert the CMOS Battery
      3. Connect the power cable then flip the PSU's rear switch to On
      4. Start the Computer
      5. Enter BIOS > Settings > Save & Exit section > choose "Restore Defaults" and then "Save Changes and Reboot" > Reboot > Re-enter BIOS and hopefully you see better results

Horror stories abound by folks flashing the BIOSes from within Windows. It's not just MSI that suffers these "I borked my BIOS while flashing in Windows" posts, but instead ALL manufacturers.

Also, if you haven't been there yet, MSI has an active forum HERE frequented by some well respected and very versed MSI Users.
      #1 - Please, when seeking help, enter the make and model of ALL parts that your system is comprised of in your Signature, or at least the model #'s in your System Specs, then "Save' it.
      ____If you are overclocking, underclocking, or undervolting any parts, informing us of this and their values would prove beneficial in helping you.

#2 - Consider your PSU to be the foundation from which all else is built upon. Anything built upon a weak foundation is poorly built.

Comment

Unfortunately leaving out the battery for around 8hrs or so and resetting via the jumpers didn't work. Looks like it's time to RMA my board to MSI . Never again will I trust LiveUpdate 5 or any other in-windows software to update my BIOS, first time I trusted it being as it is an official software from my manufacture and I am not happy with the results.

Comment

Are you using a rear panel usb 2.0 port when flashing?

Several threads you should check in the MSI User to User Forum:
          BIOS
          Intel Core-iX boards
          Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
          P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
          4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
          MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
          Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
          WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
          SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
          Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
          Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
          Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
          MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
          Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
          HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
          CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
          E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
          Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
          Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
          HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
          win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Re: Random Haswell BSOD Problems

I highly recommend that you join the MSI forum and create a new thread where you post the details of your problem and the most recent status of your predickelment.

One really nice feature in the MSI forum is the detailed information about updated beta bioses.

You need to log in to the MSI user forum to access the following thread:
            MSI HQ Users-to-Users Forum > Technical Assistance > BIOS > BETA & MOD BIOS Section > [Z87-G45 GAMING] Bios Releases [E7821IMS.1xx]
            Z87-G45 Gaming: Beta and Full Bios Versions

This is the information for the most recent Beta bios:
            E7821IMS.168 ===>E7821IMS.171 :beta:

VGA BIOS : 2179
            GOP : 5.0.1036
            ME Version : 9.0.30.1482
            RAID ROM : 12.8.0.1016 PV(12.7.0.1936)
            LAN OptionRom : 2.1.1.5(UEFI v1.1.0.4)
            Device OptionRom : N/A

Click image for larger version

Name:	beta.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	754084 beta bios documentation:
            Code:
                [B][SIZE=3][COLOR="#008080"]Update code base form 4.6.5.4_VEB_1AQQW034_m025[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
              01. Update code base to 4.6.5.4_VEB_1AQQW034 
              02. Update MsiOc - SharkBay module to MsiOc_SharkBay_m168
                  & MsiOc - SharkBay Private module to MsiOc_SharkBay_Private_m171
                a. Modify the DRAM Frequency and BCLK setting when XMP speed greater than 3000MHz.
                b. Fix system can't boot issue when use Haswell ES2 B0 stepping CPU.
                c. Add OC Genie DRAM Voltage related code for use NCT3933 model.
                d. Add token to change OC Genie GT voltage setting.
                e. Fix OC Genie power limit setting incorrect issue after reboot system.   
                f. Add code to turn off OC Genie Button LED when disable OC Genie by BIOS OC Genie item.
                g. Display VT-D item in CPU Features group when chipset supported.
                h. Update private file to SharkBay Codebase 031 Intel RC 1.7.0.
              03. Update MSI GSEII module to 4.6.2_TSE_2_15_1236_m080
                  & MGSE - ClickBIOSUI module to ClickBIOSUI_m018
                a. Fix HotKey F8/F9 support load/save profile from romhole.
                b. Add load profile when clear cmos or OC fail.
                c. Fix "Full Screen Logo Display" item can't be changed when clear CMOS.
              04. Update Aptio NCB/ROM Hole module to Aptio NCB ROM Hole_m128
                a. Fix HotKey F8/F9 support load/save profile from romhole.
                b. Support load profile when clear cmos or OC fail.
              05. Update GBI module to GBI_m021
                a. skip onboard VIA HUB 0x2109
              06. Update PostMsg Module to PostMsg_m106
                a. Support load profile when clear cmos or OC fail.
              07. Update HardwareMonitor module to HardwareMonitor_m030
                a. modularize Hardware SD file and uni
              08. Update uP1649 module to uP1649_m108
                a. Patch minimum load issue when resume from S3 (only for 7887).
              09. Update FITC module to FITC_ME9_1.5M_1482_m013
                a. Update ME to v9.0.30.1482
              10. Update Powerloss module to Powerloss_m108
                a. Update string for Russian.
              11. Update MSI_TCG module to 4.6.4.0_TCG_42_m007
                a. Update to new nersion TCG_42.
              12. Update VBIOS 2179 & GOP Driver 5.0.1036
              13. Fix RocketRaid 2310 and RocketRaid 620 raid card,the Legacy mode install OS fail.
              14. Patch muti-bom "DMI Information" error.
              15. Fix the OC_switch LED will be power on under S5 state.
                  (when HW OC_GENIE button is enable and OC Genie Function Control is set to "By BIOS Options".)
              16. Add VGA GOP information for AP
              17. Update NCT3933 module NCT3933_m104
                a. Support DRAM PCH VREF PLX voltage item code for intel 9 series chipset model CrescentBay platform.
              18. Fix DMI type0 16M SPI ROM "BIOS ROM Size" show 8192KB   Update code base form 4.6.5.4_VEB_1AQQW032a_m024g
              01. Update MsiOc - SharkBay module to MsiOc_SharkBay_m166
                 & MsiOc - SharkBay Private module to MsiOc_SharkBay_Private_m169
                a. Add token to change auto adjust PCH 1.05 Voltage setting.
                b. Fix system OC fail issue when BCLK use strap 1.25 or 1.67 and update ME to 1482 or newer.
                c. Modify OC Genie function related code for 7887 PCB 1.1.
                d. Modify some file include path for CrescentBay source code compatible.
                e. Hidden Package C State item's C7 and C7s option when CPU not support C7 state.
                f. Fix system hang on 0x23 when use XMP 3000 memory and XMP is enabled and BCLK is 100MHz.
                g. Patch XMP 3000 timing tCL to 12 and improve Memtest stability when use Apacer 4GB UNB
                   PC3-24000 memory when XMP is enabled.
                h. Patch system run Memtest test fail issue when use G.SKILL F3-2933C112Q-32GTXDG memory
                   and XMP is enabled.
                i. Modify get current CPU ratio related code when use Non K CPU and adjust CPU ratio above
                   four core turbo ratio.
                j. Fix Turbo Boost item should not be displayed issue when use not support Turbo Boost CPU
                   and set CPU ratio item.
                k. Fix adjust CPU Core Voltage function abnormal issue when use Non K sku CPU and Dual
                   Microcode function is not support.
                 l. Hidden some CPU Ratio option on H/B chipset when Dual Microcode function is not support.
              02. Update MGSE - ClickBIOSUI module to ClickBIOSUI_m018
                a. Fix USB mouse hotplug is lag.
                b. Fix DrawFlashBar show '%d%%'.
              03. Patch system hang on post when use GOP VGA card & "Windows 8/8.1 Feature" enabled.   
              04. Patch "DMI Information" UUID show N/A..

This BIOS'S use is done solely at your risk!Flash Method

1.) >>Use the MSI HQ Forum USB flasher<<
            A.) Download the attached archive and place it on your desktop. Do not decompress.
            B.) Download and install the Forum flash tool.
            C.) Insert your FAT32 formatted usb stick.
            D.) Make sure that all win 8 options are disabled. (Fast Boot etc) Also make sure the legacy USB is enabled.
            E.) Start the forum flash tool and select option 1. Then point the tool at the compressed archive we downloaded earlier. Then to your USB Flash Drive.
            F.) Boot to the USB and follow the directions. MEMTEST is included with the forum flash tool and it is recommended to run this prior to any flash.

Once the flash is complete, you must download and install the latest ME drivers.
            MSI Global Z87 MPOWER
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

I forgot about posting back to this forum as I have solved my problem awhile back. After an RMA to MSI that took the better part of a month and a half, I installed the board they returned to me. After a clean install of windows everything is running buttery smooth again. Thanks for the help as always!

Comment

Glad to hear that your system is fixed.

Thanks for the update.

Comment

Working...
                X