Side effect of XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side effect of XP

I just installed the xp on my friends computer and to my suprise i was getting dail-up connections at speeds of 45K or so, with 98se i was lucky to get 31K. I didnt really pay attention to it but at my house as well the connection speeds improved for the dial-up. Is this normal? Am i the only one that noticed a difference? Not that i'm complaining. But is it maybe a driver issue?

hahaha... I know its a big jump on the percentage of the increase, but why bother? its still dial up!! :laugh:
    sorry to rain on your parade ;)

Comment

Yes I'd say that you did have a driver or setting issue. ;)

Comment

Win98's default packet settings were optimized for running a lan, not connecting to the internet. A lot of people downloaded utilities that simplified tweaking these settings. XP may have a better default setting for internet connections. I don't know for sure, but it's the first thing that comes to my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjackusa
          Win98's default packet settings were optimized for running a lan, not connecting to the internet. A lot of people downloaded utilities that simplified tweaking these settings. XP may have a better default setting for internet connections. I don't know for sure, but it's the first thing that comes to my mind.
          hmm, i think you're onto something. I never really tweaked the connections on 98, because as vegaboo said, its still dial-up. But it seemes that xp does have better networking than 98 even with LAN.

Comment

Working...
          X