Upgrading ME to XP Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading ME to XP Pro

:bounce: I am about to upgrade two me machine to xp pro. I have enough gray hair at the moment can anyone offer some advice?

Hey, iv just finished upgrading to xp pro from me,(im currently downloading service pack 1)
    I had a couple of problems and it took me 2 attempts to install it properly.

The first thing i would do is backup any important files in case it all goes pete tong as this happened to me (i had to do a full system restore, clear everything, bootup from rescue disk, reinstall ME etc,etc)

Make sure you ve created a rescue disk in win ME(boot up floppy)

If your running Norton Antivirus 2001 uninstall it, because i didnt the first time and when xp starts rebooting your machine during instal it restarts and buggers the install of xp up, it also norton 2001 wont run on xp you have to ugrade to a newer version as its not xp compatible, i ended gettin 2002

Before you run the xp installation disk disconnect all your equipment to the USB ports ADSL modem,camera,scanner etc and make sure you have the drivers on disk

Once xp is installed start running your hardware driver disks and install the hardware one at a time and make sure it works, sometimes you get a msg saying that the driver has not been signed and may not work, i had this a couple of times but clicked on continue install and everything worked, if it doesnt you ll have too go on the net and upgrade your drivers

Hope some of this helps, its not that hard i had a few probs but got through them.

Comment

uhmmm i HIGHLY recommend the freash install over the upgrade. I have never ever encountered a succesful upgrade!!!! It might be just me, but I think MS's upgrades suck. better go fresh.

Comment

I upgraded XP Pro over a WinME installation and it works like a dream, been doing so for the past months.

Comment

Working...
        X