xp sp1 crashing on boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp sp1 crashing on boot

i've been reading a lot of posts here that indicate that people are having problems with their computer booting up after they install the xp sp1 patch. i went through the list of things to do just as many of you did... new key code, etc... then installed the patch. now my computer gets as far as the win xp loading screen, and then as soon as the main screen is about to kick on, the computer resets. i know a lot of people are having this problem, maybe together we can get to the bottom of it.

for now i just plugged in a new hard drive, and am using a barebones xp install just to get on the internet. i still have my old configuration that won't boot, and i'd really rather not start from scratch. if there's a patch or some kind of solution, that would be great... but of course i don't have any way to boot my old system to apply it. (safe mode and last known good had the same problems when i tried them.)

who else is having this problem, and any idea why? i'm thinking it might be unrelated to this whole keycode changing thing....

did you had a program to make Win XP Boot with an specific image, you know like the program BootXP ?????
    if so, you got to go to my PC icon and right mouse click and choose Properties and get to the Advance tab, there get to System Start Up and Recovery......just in there choose the line which it ends in just "Fastdetect"....or you can make it manually, by hitting the Edit button and a file opens, there just erase what ever is next to the "fastdetect" word......click ok and this should reboot correct.....:thumb:

Comment

The reason it is appearing to 'reset' is that you're actually getting a blue screen. This is caused by one of two things; firstly, the invalid switch in the boot.ini file, or secondly a corrupt or invalid ntoskrnl.exe file. This file controls the boot screen and logon window, and is often changed by third party customisation software like BootXP or StyleXP.

If you have your XP CD handy, you can restore the original ntoskrnl.exe file from the i386 directory (note that it will have a .ex_ extension). Upon your next boot, Windows XP will inform you that a critical system file has been modified with an old version, and launch the SFC (system file checker) which should place the correct SP1 ntoskrnl.exe into your system32 directory.

For reference, the correct SP1 ntoskrnl.exe file size is 1.94 MB (2 042 240 bytes).

Comment

thanks. it appears i'm getting somewhere. i took the ntoskrnl.exe from a winxp (pre-sp1) installation, and copied it into the windows\system32 directory of my sp1 installation that won't start. now instead of my computer rebooting infinitely, i see a blue screen, and get a C000021A error. i still can't start up, though... even with last known good or safe mode... same error.

am i on the right track? can my installation still be fixed?

i compared my boot.ini's between the two installations and they were identical, as far as i could tell.

Comment

we are on the same boat!!!

This happened to me too...but... I formatted the hard drive without any solutions.

How did you kill the 30 days activation when you first installed the o.p.?

Comment

HELLO!!!!

Do you have any news?

Comment

no news here... this is obviously a problem affecting a great deal of people, but no one seems to have an answer, no matter where i look. i was able to successfully install sp1 on a different installation, so i guess it's time to start migrating....

Comment

Working...
              X