Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is no Special XP Pro Corporate Editon

Let's clear up a common misconception amongst this forum:

There is no special XP Pro Corporate Edition.

There is XP Home and XP Pro.

XP Home only accepts XP Home keys - their algorithm only accepted in this OS

XP Pro accepts both single licence keys and VLK's - Volume Licence Keys. A VLK is commonly known as a corporate key, since this is where they are used.
    Microsoft in both Win XP Pro, and Office XP Standard and Pro, accept VLK's that do not require activation. This is a godsend for people in my line of work, so we don't have to keep going online to activate every PC we reinstall, and we can enter the key into many machines, up to how many licences we have purchased.

So, the DO (Devil's Own) Win XP leaked version is a normal XP Pro version, with a corporate key - that is the only reason as to why it didn't need to be activated.

.... so you can Slipstream your DO version, but you have to use one of the keys generated by the keychanger to do it (the FCKGW xxxxx .... one WONT work after the Slipstream.:no:

Comment

Exactly - just make sure it isn't the two keys that MS have specifically blocked.....

Comment

I tried to apply generated and blacklisted VLK to retail XP pro and it did not take it

Comment

Now This is really how it works.

Unlocking WinXP's setupp.ini

WinXP's setupp.ini controls how the CD acts. IE is it an OEM version or retail? First, find your setupp.ini file in the i386 directory on your WinXP CD. Open it up, it'll look something like this:

ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05
          Pid=55034000

The Pid value is what we're interested in. What's there now looks like a standard default. There are special numbers that determine if it's a retail, oem, or volume license edition. First, we break down that number into two parts. The first five digits determines how the CD will behave, ie is it a retail cd that lets you clean install or upgrade, or an oem cd that only lets you perform a clean install? The last three digits determines what CD key it will accept. You are able to mix and match these values. For example you could make a WinXP cd that acted like a retail cd, yet accepted OEM keys.

Now, for the actual values. Remember the first and last values are interchangable, but usually you'd keep them as a pair:

Retail = 51882 335
          Volume License = 51883 270
          OEM = 82503 OEM

So if you wanted a retail CD that took retail keys, the last line of your setupp.ini file would read:

Pid=51882335

And if you wanted a retail CD that took OEM keys, you'd use:

Pid=51882OEM

Note that this does NOT get rid of WinXP's activation. Changing the Pid to a Volume License will not bypass activation. You must have a volume license (corporate) key to do so.

Comment

Hey,

This doesn't make sense to me...

So, if I go out to the store and buy a Windows XP Professional CD (Retail Box) from like CompUSA, and use the Product ID that comes with it, I DO have to activate it also? But if I use that same CD with a generated, but valid Volume Liscense Key, I DO NOT have to activate it? Is that what's going on?

What, then, accounts for the picture I attached? Is it just fancy Photoshop effects? There is no Corp Version of the CD...?

Thanks!

Comment

I compiled a new CD using all the files from retail XP pro and modifyed setupp.ini as you sugested to accept VLK. I booted up from the CD and went through the install. when time came it displyed a dialog box "Enter volume license number" but didn't want to accept VLK, I tried devils own and generated numbers - no success. Then I tried original reatil number and it took it. Installation went OK but in the end I still need activation anyways. Are you that PID us all that needs to be modified? something is wrong here...

Comment

Kostas8,

Look at what it says: Windows XP Professional

It doesn't say XP Corporate, or any nonsense like that.
                Like ALL Microsoft programs, they will write CD's for the corporate world, that will be expecting a valid VLK, that will not need activation.

Comment

Working...
                X