No announcement yet.

Big Problem - Win XP slows my computer down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have any sort of Anti Aliasing turned on? Or maybe even Antistropic filtering? Then again with hardware like that I don't think it should affect anything to much. But just in case.

Comment

Have the same settings that I used to had on ME.
      Either way, I turn them off and the results were the same.

Comment

heh...I have no more to say then I'm sorry man. I really feel bad I have no idea what it is.

Maybe its a hardware failure somehwere and something is not performing up to what its supposed to do. Or maybe something is configured wierd. I dunno

Comment

Yeah I know man... been trying to solve this for so long and really can't understand whats going on :cry: , it's not hardware because it perfomrs just nice with ME but it crashes all the time... :(

Well thanks anyway for trying to help me out guys :cheers:

Comment

When I installed XP Pro over ME, i got some bad results...real choppy with UT. I wiped out ME and did a completely fresh install using the new file system (not FAT32, can't remember the name!). Did you do that? I am getting 8500 benchmark for Mark2001, about 1500 better than before. Running a P4 1.8 with a GE4 4400.

I found that completely wiping out your file system is painful, but good in the long-run!

Good luck! :thumb:

Comment

You're spot on there Pants. A fresh install is always going to perform better than an upgrade.

And the file system that's not FAT32 is NTFS. ;)

Comment

Yep I did a fresh install, I never install a new OS over another OS.

Comment

Okay, a little weirdness to add to this. I had a similar problem with an AMD chip and an ASUS mobo. I installed XP and the thing ran horrible, even the mouse movement was jerky. I installed mobo drivers, video drivers, mouse drivers, etc....and it didn't clear up much.

Did it all over again...same thing.

So (what I was thinking, I'll never know), but I installed Me back onto the system and it ran fine (well, as fine as Me does...). Then I was feeling brave, so I installed XP, but this time I went for the upgrade.

Guess what? It worked beautifully. It's been running just as stable as any other XP install I've got, and that was four or five months ago.

I can't give you anything technical about the why's and such, because after it worked I didn't bother with why, I just gave a few hallelujah's and moved on.

But I figure at this point, it's probably worth your time to try it out. And since the chip and mobo are the same, maybe it's even a little reason to cross your fingers...

Good luck.

Comment

I thought I was the only one who had this problem!

So what did you upgrade? Everything? Just the board? Or just the chip?

My CPU its a AMD2000+ so I'm not gonna upgrade that, but my motherboard its not very good, maybe if I buy a new and better one that will solve my problem.

Comment

No, I didn't do a hardware upgrade. I mean I actually did the XP install by choosing Upgrade Installation, rather than the New Installation option. I know, I know, sounds like newbie type solution, and I basically did it to do something while I gave myself time to think...but then I was shocked when it actually cleared up every problem.

The machine runs smooth as my others and all I did was install XP on top of the Win ME install.

Granted it was a pretty clean Win ME install. I basically did the install, then went straight to XP.

If you've got nothing else, I'd say go for it. Seems like we had the same problem...

Good luck.

Comment

Ok man, thanks a lot for your help.
                        Gonna try that and hope that will solve my problem. :cheers:

Comment

Preachre, did you happen to run a benchmark before and/or after you reinstalled xp? Reason I ask, is cuz I've been experiencing slight reductions in performance since I installed XP. Just wanna see how it went for you. Thx!

Comment

No, I didn't do any benchmarking. So far I've put it on five different systems: a Pentium 2, 450 w/ 128 RAM to a P2 600 laptop w/ 128 RAM, a P2, 800 laptop w/ 256 RAM, an AMD Duron 750 w/ 128 RAM, an AMD Athlon 700 w/ 128 RAM, two AMD Athlon XP 1500s w/ 256 RAM, and most recently an AMD Athlon XP 1700 w/ 512 RAM.

Like I said, no benchmarking, but it was plainly obvious that the P2 450 was slower with XP. The P2 600 laptop seemed slower, but with laptops thats hard to say, since they just seem slower anyway. The Duron 750 and the Athlon 700 didn't seem to change, so if there was a degradation it was (fairly) imperceptible. I never had anything but XP on the Athlon 1700, but the two Athlon 1500s had Win98 beforehand and they seem to be mixed in their performance. Most things seem the same, a few apps seem quicker (especially as the systems were used more), but other (mostly games) seemed a bit sluggish. Nothing to really gripe about, just a little unlike how I was used to them. These were mostly games (can't remember which), and seemed they were older ones. The new ones that have XP support (um, GTA III, NWN, Dungeon Siege) seemed to run fine.

So, if you're benchmarking with some of those older games benchmarking utilities (Unreal Tournament definitely ran slower on three systems), perhaps that's where the sluggishness is coming in.

I use the Office suite more than anything (sigh, it's sad being all grown up now...), and that performs better than it ever did in the Win9x environments.

Again, not very technical, eh...but hope it helps anyway.

preachre

Comment

Working...
                            X