Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 64 Bit Compatibility Issues

Hi All-

I just received a gaming desktop as a gift.

The computer came loaded with Windows 7 64 Bit. I believe the gift giver wanted me to make full use of the 8 gigs of memory, so he went for the 64 bit version.

I am having lots of crashing problems with gaming. I have read that many of the games I have been playing on Vista, will not play properly with 64 Bit Windows 7.

So far the game companies have been little to no help and patches are slow in coming at best.

I don't have a good understanding of how I might work around this until game makers get caught up.

I have heard people say, "Just use 2 hard drives and install vista on one, or Windows 7 32 Bit, and install your Windows 7 64 bit on the other." I would imagine that even if that allowed me to play all the games, along with utilizing the full 8 gig memory in other applications, wouldn't I have to keep pulling the power cable from one of the H.D.'s each time I want to boot from the other?

Someone else also told me, since I have a new, unused version of windows 7 32 Bit at home, I might want to install that on a second hard drive similar to what was suggested above, or if it is too much of a hassle, create the 64 Bit backup disks, uninstall the 64 bit version, and install the 32 Bit Windows 7 until the game problems have been resolved.

My concern with that suggestion is that I need to be sure that these backup disks I will be creating, will allow me to reinstall the 64 Bit version of Windows 7, if I want to go back to that from the 32 bit version.

The third suggestion that I heard about was using XP Mode. Can I use XP mode on this new computer to play the games that won't work with the 64 Bit version of Windows 7?

I am sorry this thread was so long, but I really need some suggestions and some feedback on the three scenarios above.

Thanks so much!

Sunyb36
    (Joan)

Re: Windows 7 64 Bit Compatibility Issues

What games are you playing and what error messages do you receive?
    Gizas! what a mess :)

Comment

i have no issues at all with any games and windows 7 64bit,click on my youtube link in sig to see all my games,on the desktop right click on the game icon/properties/compatibility and click run this program in xp or vista compatibility,and click the run as admin box too
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've been running Windows 7 64 bit since it was released and haven't found a game that wouldn't work yet. I'm thinking something is probably not configured correctly. ...maybe your RAM has issues? You may have some luck getting pointed in the right direction from some of the more knowledgeable forum members if you list your full computer specs.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I have never heard of a game not running on 64bit Windows. My first suggestion would be to remove 4gigs of Ram and then rotate--one stick at a time back in(ALways maintaining 4 gb only) to see if its a Ram issue. Can you try a different GPU?? Do you only have trouble with gaming? If so..I think its the GPU. You may want to run Prime 95 and or Memtest to check for errors or crashes. I just cant see how a game would run on Vista and not W7. Odd stuff. Good luck sir.
          Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 rev 1.1 Bios F9
          I5 2500k@4501GHz 1.3V 60c load +/- 1or 2c--Goes higher quite easily
          2x4GB Kingston Hyper X @1866MHz 10-11-10-27-1t @ 1.56v
          Corsair H80
          EVGA GTX 580
          CoolerMaster 800W Silent Pro
          Intel X-25m 80GB
          Seagate 2tb Sata 2 7200rpm
          Corsair Obsidian 650D
          Sunbeamtech Rheosmart 3 Fan Controller

Comment

Working...