XP Pro Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro Upgrade

I'm building a new system and am planning on a clean install of XP Pro and just slowly move stuff from my old WinME. I have the following questions:

1. Can I use the XP Pro Upgrade cd (which I have) off the bat or do I have to install win 98 then upgrade to ME then XP pro? Will the XP pro cd just prompt me to insert 98 or ME?

2. Once installed, can I transfer my old program files to XP and re-install from there so I can save any old settings I have and stuff?

Thanks in advance and for your patience.

System to be built
    P4 1.8a
    All in Wonder 7500
    Kingston DDR2700 512M
    3 Maxtor 60g ata 133
    Toshiba 12x dvd
    HP 8x6x32 CDR
    Liteon 40x12x48 CDR
    Internal zip
    Soundblaster live (depending on MB sound)
    Soyo P4x400 Dragon Ultra (don't have it since it's not out yet)
    Antec Performance Plus II 835

The only thing new is the case, mobo,cpu and ram. everything else is from my existing system.

Never having use the upgrade disk I'm not 100% sure but I'm nearly sure that at some time during the istallation you'll be asked for the 98/ME CD for verification so that ya don't have to install it first. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I guess i just have to try. :(

How bout my existing program file folders? Can I transfer one program at a time and reinstall?

Can I copy over some cookies since I don't remember all the passwords to sites like CNN, NY Times, LA Times, etc.?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes you can but I'm not to sure where they are in XP yet but try My Computer, windows/desktop/users for your destops settings, windows/internetexplorer/favourites for your internet favourites/bookmarks and windows/outlookexpress/addressbook for outlook express it you use it. Someone else may come along with the proper addresses. ;)

Comment

I do a full clean reinstall with my WinXP Pro Upgrade. It only asks you for a previous product code (in my case I had Win98SE Full). You definitely shouldn't install any other OS first. And I would highly recommend you don't do an install over an existing OS.

Copy all the files you need to CDs, reformat, install XP then copy the stuff back. And don't copy entire folders, copy only the files you need.
          My Machine

Comment

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
            Copy all the files you need to CDs, reformat, install XP then copy the stuff back.
            It's a nice idea, but some of us would be filling 30+ CDs of files that we want kept. :(

Comment

Yupp, I have 6gigs of data on the Program files folder alone dating back to 09/2000 when I last did a clean install. And to think that I already took out a lot of programs that I don't use...it's a good thing I have a new 60g HD to start with.

Comment

as Persian said, just grab the files you need to keep and not whole folders.. you can just reinstall the programs later. It's better that way.

Comment

That's the main reason that I (and quite a few others) keep the o/s on a separate partition from everthing else with personal settings backups made every couple of weeks. :smokin:

Comment

:confused: What strategy do you use that forces you to back up frequently. It just seems to be one of those things I put off forever at home. We have daily backups at the office.

Comment

[b]What strategy do you use that forces you to back up frequently.
                      Whenever I remember every couple of weeks or so. ;)
                      I accumulate favourites, IM contacts and email addies like nobodies business. :eek:

Comment

Working...
                      X