changing product id... help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing product id... help!!!

i bought my sister's computer off of her before she went to college, but she took all of her software with her, including her windows xp pro cd. so, i went and bought another xp pro cd, just in case i had to reinstall or whatever.

i have the new product code on the back of the cd, but i don't know how to change the cd key without re-formatting, which i really, really, don't want to do. she's already gone to windows updates for the latest products, and i think if i go there they'll see that the same product key is being used. so even though i bought a new copy of it, it won't appear that way.

i looked all over the internet for instructions, but every single place said the same things:

go to registry editor, and edit HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\WPAEvents "oobetimer" to a different value, which will de-activate windows.

then in the run command line, type in c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a to launch the windows activation screen.

this is not working. i can tell the program is there, and the hard drive accesses it, but nothing happens.

can anybody help me out?? thanks...

Here is what I found. Information on how to change the product ID. That's what you wanna do. Here's the info. http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q321636

Also about not being to open msoobe.exe, The only thing I found that seemed pertinent was that maybe WinXP was originally installed by the OEM with an unattented installation. That by default disables msoobe.

That is all I have
    Later

<--- 200th Post!

Comment

Congrats on the milestone FA-MAS. :thumb:

Keep up the good work. ;)

Comment

hmmmm... thanks for the research, but i don't have the "activate windows" option in my system tools. the shortcut is directly to the oobe.exe, anyway, which i have, but won't run.

any other suggestions?

thanks!

Comment

It would have simplified things greatly if you and your sister could have swapped CD's before she reused it.

According to the MS gospel on an OEM PC the OS is supposed to be an integral part of the system and is to be included when selling or donating a used PC.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

yes, i agree... :(

anyway, reformatted and everything now is good to go.

except now my speakers don't work. :shoot3:

Comment

Microsoft don't collect any info from your PC so I wouldn't be worried about them finding out that both PC's have the same Win XP installation on them.

Comment

If you want to change your XP Key go to this site and follow the instructions:

Comment

Try and look for a program called Anti Spy, there is an option to "unlock" licdll.dll to enable the WPA to run......

Comment

Working...
                  X