Not Able to use Simple File Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Able to use Simple File Sharing

I have windows xp set up on all my computer on my home network. I use simple file sharing since I want to do in terms of file sharing is the ability to read from other computers easily. I just got a laptop from my college and they seems to have an entirely different networking setup on it. It is running Windows XP Version 2002, just like my other computers, yet it will not let me select simple file sharing. When I go to Folder Options the box for simple file sharing is checked and no matter if I check it or uncheck it, it will not switch to simple.

How can I undo this problem? I just want to be able to view files on my laptop without using a password and I want to be able to use my laptop to be able to view files without entering a password for other computers. Any communication to or from the laptop requires a domain\name and password to be entered. I am new to networking with XP so please help me!

Simple file sharing is automaticlly turnerd off when a computer is added to a domain, the school would have it set to log on to a domain, hence why it won't work.
    You probably can't take it off the domain either without the appropriate permisssions.

Comment

Are you saying that I would have to log into the domain of the school in order to change the file sharing settings from whatever they are now to simple file sharing? I don't know why MS wouldn't allow you to revert to classic file sharing mode, passwords are easier than permissions.

How can I share files on my laptop and look at files on other computer from my laptop without using passwords and entering in other computers domains and passwords? I even changed the domain of my other computer to WINONA, the name of my school's domain.

Comment

Changing the domain on your own computer is not going to do anything, because it can't register with the domain controller, you could take the laptop off of the domain and add it to a workgroup if you have the administrator password or enough permissions to do so.
        MS would of used permissions on a domain because it is the better way to go and more secure, also when ON the domain you can verify users and groups to ensure they are valid.

Comment

All right. Well XP sharing is new to me. I've found it to be great here at home, but I suppose the school network is just a bit more complex than the 6 computers at my house.

I'll just have to wait to get to school to fool around with this thing some more.

Comment

You know what that means Cord, Re-install your own version of XP, screw POS ResNet. F*ck 'em for keeping Gateway in business.

Comment

Yeah I would reinstall a new copy of XP, but this is set up to use all the printers, my network storage space and so forth, I doubt it'd be as easy to configure that one my own.

Do you think I'm wrong about that? I have little idea how Windows XP works with networking, so.....

Comment

Working...
              X