Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Windows Explorer has stopped working" problem

Windows Vista Home Basic, Service Pack 2

This problem has been going on for months now, but now it has gone worse. I can't access my hard drive without running into and making Windows Explorer to stop responding. Heck, I can't even open the games folder!

Any way to fix this?
    Attached Files

Re: "Windows Explorer has stopped working" problem

Do you have your vista Install disk? If so you can just run a system, repair to the windows files only (Not system restore)

Push Windows Key + R then type in command, then in the command box type this (Yes that is a space and it is needed) >>>

sfc /scannow

After it is done you will have to reinstall your windows updates again but that is all

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      Do you have your vista Install disk? If so you can just run a system, repair to the windows files only (Not system restore)

Push Windows Key + R then type in command, then in the command box type this (Yes that is a space and it is needed) >>>

sfc /scannow

After it is done you will have to reinstall your windows updates again but that is all

Totally worked. Thanks!

Comment

WOW.............. Great to hear!

I often suggest that and users are scared to use it... Or just wont take the advice.

Glad to be of some help, If I was over there I could have likely found what caused the issue for you and fixed it that way, but it would be pretty complicated to get it done from here

Comment

Hey guys!

I've wrestled with this issue the entire night
          Dunno why it suddently started to harass me but I figured it had to be something in the register so i ran some clean ups there but unsuccesful >;

Trying this thingy now.. Hope it works for me aswell! And ty anyways.

Any ideas why I suddently got probs with win explorer crashing?
          Have run smoothly for over a year :S

Comment

Did you get it fixed? Any number of things can cause this. Let us know if you got it, if not I will try to help you get it narrowed down

Comment

Bah I did that sfc/SCANNOW but all i got was something in style with:
              No integrity violation detected and no news at all :S

Im sooo confused atm.. .read tons of forums every1 have a new way to go and every direction I turn I smack right into a dead end >.<

any new ideas I could try?

<3 Meew

Comment

Re: &quot;Windows Explorer has stopped working&quot; problem

sfc /scannow

There is a space in there, did you notice this?

Please copy and paste that into a cmd window not the run box and report back. If you still get a error please post a screenshot

Comment

Ye i got that 1.. im doing again hoping for a screenshot then ill upload it for you to watch

Comment

Well All I meant was a image of the error not a movie, but I suppose that will do as well.

Is this Vista DVD a self burned one or a bought one, or do you even get far enough for it to ask for the DVD?

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]]

ohh maybe a bit tiny >:

Last edited by Meewseh; 08-22-2008, 01:48 AM.

Comment

its a self burned one... no it never asks for it >:

Comment

Ahh ok. Looks like you are all good there anyway. It would only ask if you had missing files, which it looks as if you do not

Do you have all the latest Vista updates? If not can you please go install them

What caused this to start, do you have a idea? Like did you just recently install something new or remove something?

Have you tried chkdsk?

If not open a cmd window again and type the following, yes to all it asks and reboot >>>
                          chkdsk /x /f /r
                          Or If you like I could send you a good working explorer, provided you are using a English Vista. I have SP1 and SP0 files I could send you if you can use them

Have you tried using system restore at all? If not give that a shot, use a restore point from when you think it was working correctly

You can aslo try Last known good config, have you tried this? When your PC starts start tapping F8 until you see the safe mode, ect, last known good config menu. Choose last known good config (Same as you likely used to see in XP)

You also have this Microsoft option >>>
                          In Windows Vista, you can use the following method to perform an In-place Upgrade installation. This installation is similar to the repair installation in Windows XP. It only reinstalls system files and does not affect other files. However, we must logon the original Windows Vista system to perform this In-place Upgrade installation. We cannot boot from the Windows Vista installation disk to initiate the installation.

1. Start the computer.

2. Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click Install now.

• If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type Drive:\setup.exe, and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

b. Click Install now.

4. When you reach the Which type of installation to you want? screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista.

Note: We may need to reactivate the system after the upgrade.

Comment

hmm ill give that chkdsk /x /f /r first... ye ive done win restore and that
                            ill try that 1 and come back to you thanks for all the help so far

Comment

Anytime, Hope I can get you fixed up. Do you use English Vista? If so I can send you a working explorer file keep that in mind

What started this? I see you mentioned clean ups, often times programs actually cause the problems. Especially if you are using Registry programs without full knowledge of what they are doing or what you are deleting.

Worse comes to worse you can always do a reinstall over the install you have now. All your files will be kept in a folder called Windows.old and you can get what you need out of it and then delete the folder

Comment

Working...
                              X