Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update to Windows Vista (is it worth it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update to Windows Vista (is it worth it)

Hi, i was wonding if it was worth me to fork out $179 (Aus Dollars) to upgrade to Vista.

Here are my current specs

Window XP Pro x64 Edition
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
    1gbX2 DDR 400mhz Dual Channel
    300gb SATA HDD
    2X Nvidia Geforce 7900GTO in SLi
    DVD ROM/RAM Drive
    800 Watt Power Supply
    All hardware on my pc is 64-bit compatible...

I use my pc for gaming mostly, some video editing and a bit of graphics design using 3ds Max 9...

Does Vista require a graphics card to be DirectX 10 compatlible because as far as i know my graphics cards only support DX 9.0c

Re: Update to Windows Vista (is it worth it)

No, you don't need DX-10 video cards, but I would definitely NOT go to Vista for awhile. It is full of bugs and has crappy driver support. Complete waste of money.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Vista does not require DX10 cards to run. ...Is it worth it? Guess that depends on how much money you have. It is always cool to keep up with the latest trends but not always necessary. I think I would wait a bit and see what problems the general population has before jumping in. There are always some unexpected issues.

edit: casecutter types faster than me. LOL
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I heard there were some bugs, but there always is when Microsoft releases somthink. LOL
        So y have i heard that Vista uses DX 10 at its core. Is that only for the upcomming games.

Off topic:
        Im not an expert when it comes to GPU's and such. But even tho my Graphic cards are compatible with DX9.0c would i be able to install DX10.
        What are the pros and cons

Comment

Originally posted by UK_Karlos View Post
          I heard there were some bugs, but there always is when Microsoft releases somthink. LOL
          So y have i heard that Vista uses DX 10 at its core. Is that only for the upcomming games.

Off topic:
          Im not an expert when it comes to GPU's and such. But even tho my Graphic cards are compatible with DX9.0c would i be able to install DX10.
          What are the pros and cons
          It comes with DX10 for upcoming games yes but you don't need a DX10 graphics card to run the OS, only those upcoming games.
          Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
          Managing Director
          Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I think he's asking: Is there any way to get DX10 on his computer without a DX10 card.

And i think the answer is no, you need a DX10 card to install DX10 on your computer.

It's not like the standard DirectX line that has been out for XP where it's just driver updates, it's a new platform.

Comment

I see, then that would be correct - you need a DX10 card but keep in mind some DX10 games should also support DX9 just with not all the impressive graphics.
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

You can install DX-10, but it will only use the DX-9C API and all games for the next 2-4 years will still run DX-9 just fine. DX-10 is overhyped and I don't expect it to live up to that hype. Also, there is no logical reason XP could not run DX-10 other than M$ wants to gouge us to buy a new OS from them. They (M$) can kiss my ass as I will stick to XP until it is no longer supported.
                GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                PC P&C 500W PSU
                2TB Seagate

Comment

There is talk that XP will support DX10 but nothing confirmed yet...
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

The *******s will probably quietly slip it in with SP3 if they have the balls to do it at all. I would honestly be shocked if they did considering they want to sell they severely overpriced new OS to us.
                    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                    PC P&C 500W PSU
                    2TB Seagate

Comment

Early last year MS said that DX10 would ONLY be available to Vista. I think that was to get Vista to sell more to gamers, but since no hardware or software giant adapted to DX10 that quickly, how could they it wasn't even finished until recently, they had to change their game plan.

Comment

I still highly doubt M$ will give XP DX-10. THey have proven that once they put out a new OS that the last generation quickly becomes unsupported and gets minimal attention. Besides, there is nothing to stop them from basically telling us "If you want DX-10 get Vista".
                        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                        PC P&C 500W PSU
                        2TB Seagate

Comment

casecutter, i wouldn't go as far as that. They just extended their support for XP for ANOTHER 5 years. That's 10 years from yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by CColtManM View Post
                            casecutter, i wouldn't go as far as that. They just extended their support for XP for ANOTHER 5 years. That's 10 years from yesterday.
                            Just because they say they will support it, does not mean they will keep their full attention on it. SP3 was supposed to be out already, and that has been pushed off for another year+. I have no faith that M$ will keep their word and properly support XP and I have even less faith they will give XP DX-10.
                            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
                            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
                            PC P&C 500W PSU
                            2TB Seagate

Comment

To answer the original thread:

I'm running vista on a 7600gt right now.. I'm pretty sure it's not dx10 yet.
                              Case: Antec P180 ** PSU: Ultra-V 600W
                              Main: EVGA 680i 122-CK-NF68**
                              CPU: E6700 2.66GHz
                              CPU cooling: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro ** RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2
                              GPU: BFG GTX 295..** Samsung 206bw LCD

Comment

Working...
                              X