Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP sp2 see my HD smaller

Hi All,
    What can I do to make my System see the real Capacity of me harddrive? For EXample, my hD is 300GB but after format the system show me only 279GB..what happen to the rest and how can I fix this ? Thanks
    PS: My BIOS update to current ver. My MB is intel.
    Last edited by ntvh; 01-08-2006, 01:59 AM.

Re: WinXP sp2 see my HD smaller

That happens with all HD, has something to do with the GB and Mb system that microsoft setups vs the ones the hd manufacture makes up. I can't remeber..but that is normal. For example..mine is 100gb but it shows 97.3...or my 160 that shows 157..etc.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

The sizes that hard drives are advertised as are based on a the metric system; 1000KB = 1MB, 1000MB = 1GB, and so on. The actual capacity is based on the actual value of bytes, 1024KB = 1MB, 1024MB = 1GB, etc.

My 60GB HDD is really 55.8GB and my 200GB is less than 190GB.

Comment

Originally posted by ntvh
        Hi All,
        What can I do to make my System see the real Capacity of me harddrive? For EXample, my hD is 300GB but after format the system show me only 279GB..what happen to the rest and how can I fix this?
        As Yawg said, it's obvious that you've never heard of HDD manufacturer's "metric" size compared to "real" bit size (you'll never get anywhere the advertised size and the bigger you get the larger the margin between advertised and real becomes, a simple fact of life, atm).

Comment

thank you all the Masters. Now I'M OK. So Who ripp me off...the HD Manufac or Mr.BillGate or the sale man.

Comment

The HD manufacturer. Bill gates was probably in diapers (give or take ten years; I'm not sure how old he is) when it was decided that 8 bits = 1 bytes and 1024 bytes = 1 megabyte.

Comment

Working...
            X