"Safely Remove" CD Rom Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Safely Remove" CD Rom Drive

I have an Inspiron 600m laptop and everything is running fine, except I'm very picky about having complete control over all background tasks that are going on, especially in the taskbar. I keep getting this taskbar icon which, when I click on it, has the option to "safely remove hardware." When I open it up, it lists my SONY CDRW/DVD CRX830E. Obviously, I don't want to remove it, and when I click properties it says "This device is working properly." How do I get rid of the taskbar icon?

Re: "Safely Remove" CD Rom Drive

In the standard Windows 2000 dialog, which appears after double clicking the icon, there is a selection to "Show Unplug/Eject icon on the taskbar." If this is unchecked, it may get rid of the icon, but possibly it will get rid of the icon for all other devices you connect, and you may not want that. You can test this by pluggin in another USB device.

In Device Manager driver or device software options, check if there is an option to turn off the taskbar icon.

Probably also you could obtain the "MSConfig" utility for your version of Windows, check the Statup tab for an item such as "sonydvdtray.exe" or "crx830tray.exe", whatever your driver software may have installed, and disable (uncheck) the item.

Comment

Working...
    X