Evil Real Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil Real Player

I like to use Windows Media player to play video files (.mpg, .avi, .mpa, etc.), and I user Real Player only to see .rm video files which can't be played with Windows Media Player. The problem is that everytime I open Real Player it automatically makes itself the deafult player for all types of video files. How can I keep Real Player from automatically associating every video file with itself evertime I open it?

Re: Evil Real Player

My first recommendation is to trash Real Player since it is utter crap for this and several other reasons, but if this isn't an option then start trolling through the options screens of the Real Player. More than likely there is an option ticked in there somewhere that gives the software permission to make your life a living Hell by automatically detecting to see if it is the default player for given file types. I don't use the utility myself (did I mention that it is crap?) so I can't be more specific as to where the offending option might be hiding.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I've been shopping (freely) around for a good all-around media player. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with real player, how is it so crappy?

Comment

On more than one occasion I've seen situations where Real Player was hogging the resources of a computer and slowing it down considerably. I have no use for it and therefore have not personally installed it on any of my systems ... it is possible that there are "opt outs" for some of the options it installs. Just a quick search online gives what appears to be a good alternative for those who insist on using Real Player formats http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm . If all you are looking for is a good all around media player then Winamp http://www.winamp.com/ may be to your liking although I don't believe that it handles .rm files.
        Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

it's like any thing else, some like it, some don't and the ones who don't like it have experienced either problems with it, or they don't like the way it wants to hog every thing.

i've tried it off and on for years, only when some one says you got to watch this, and i've went and used real player, but deleted right afterwards usually. but when i left it on the system, i didn't like some things about it, and the one thing was that you couldn't stop the thing from placing it's self in the start up, and every time i would uncheck it, and reboot, it was there, time to uninstall it, again.

i don't even use it any more, use real alternative player instead when needed.

other's who don't care if it is in start up all the time, and who don't care if it is their default player, i'm sure they are happy with it.

but some of us think/know it is junk, imho!

River~

Comment

Real players seems to be pretty obedient for me. Took it off startup and never showed up again. Was a beautiful sight cuz it does hog up a lot of resources.

Maybe you unchecked the wrong process?

Comment

honestly, how do you uncheck the wrong process if you don't want Real Player to load up on start up?

i didn't mean like it showed up right away, but if i would go to a web site, look at a sports vidoe that needed real player, it would run the sports video automatically. some time after this i would check things out, just maintenance, and if i went to msconfig, there it was, real player checked to load up on start up, again. that's been my experience.

Comment

Working...
              X