Progs that open and close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progs that open and close?

I have XP pro, and when I ctr+alt+del, the manager pops up then closes; same goes for my Norton 2004 and it's Live Update. I can open programs like Winzip, Nero, and IE. So I dont know whats going on. I need some help from you guys. :/

And on a side note, my internet speed is very speradic, I have DSL. Sometimes its fine, but most of the time it is "Dial-Up" speed or slower. I can't play any online games cause my pings are in the 1000s.

Its really pissing me off cause I got this comp so that I could play the newer games, and for the week that Ive had it, its given me nothing but problems.

Re: Progs that open and close?

As for the program issue, start with the basics and make sure the shortcut isn't set up to run the program minimized. To check this, you can right click the shortcut being used to launch the application and check the middle tab.

Regarding your Internet speeds, this sounds like a job for the ISP's tech support. It may be some issue they need to address. Since you're getting connected, it shouldn't really be a hardware problem on your end unless the modem is dying.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

Yea, all of the programs are set to run to correctly. I was wondering if modems could "die", I think this may be what is happening. Because when I turn on my computer and the modem is "fresh" the net works fine; but then it slows down, and I dont know if this is related, but the modem at that time is kinda warm. Im running a cable from the ethernet port to my computer, and my mom is using the USB connection, and hers works fine. I called the tech support about 2 weeks ago when the net plain died on my old computer, and they said, "your computer shouldn't work hooked up that way"; and it had been working like that for over a year, so I dont think Verizon has the most compitent tech support. So, maybe its time for a new modem.

Im still amiss with what could be wrong with my programs. :/

Comment

ok, that so sounds like you have a spyware application or virus running in the background of your pc, i suggest you start xp in diagnostics mode ( start menu, run, type in msconfig and click open.) look for the selection box saying diagnostic startup, tick that box and then click on ok, it will prompt you to reboot, reboot and when you get back into windows, see if the system is running more stable, if it is, then there is a nasty program at work somewhere

gary

Comment

I am having a similiar problem, with 2 different peoples machines. Both are running XP sp2. Both had a tone of Spyware on them, and a few viruses.

I have ran AVG 7.0, NAV, Stinger, Adaware, Spy-bot, MS Antispyware, and Pestpatrol.

Finds nothing wrong. Different programs on each computer.

Grrrrrrr.....

I see the program for a second, and then it flashes off.

I do notice a service (process) running on the one machine as the local user called 'lIbY.exe' that I can not end, if I do, it just reappears.

Any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by GaryGBM
            ok, that so sounds like you have a spyware application or virus running in the background of your pc, i suggest you start xp in diagnostics mode ( start menu, run, type in msconfig and click open.) look for the selection box saying diagnostic startup, tick that box and then click on ok, it will prompt you to reboot, reboot and when you get back into windows, see if the system is running more stable, if it is, then there is a nasty program at work somewhere

gary
            I would have to agree, though I feel it will be a trojan as opposed to spyware from the bandwidth loss you are experiencing.

Try:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

and

http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm
            E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

I also experiance this when I bring up ipconfig, thought nothing of it at the time. Guess I'l look into those programs.

Comment

Working...
              X