Win XP upgrade problem on new HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win XP upgrade problem on new HD

I've got my first home built PC together and now comes the software/hardware problems...here's the setup..

Asus K8V Mobo with onboard lan, sata, raid, audio
    AMD Athlon 64 3200 clawhammer
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Samsung SATA HDD running to SATA 1 on mobo
    350 watt stock PSU (will upgrade ASAP)
    Lite-on 52x CD-ROM
    Geil 512MB PC3200 RAM

Here's the situation...I've got Win98SE and WinXP upgrade...so I've got to install Win98 and then do the upgrade on the new HD right? 98SE installs fine, finds the HD, memory everything else fine. When I try to do the upgrade to XP Home, I eventually end up with an error msg...Setup has terminated to prevent damage to your system...check hard disk for errors and proper connections. Then the XP setup ends and I'm SOL. Now, is there something with the SATA hard disk that I'm missing. Keep in mind I know nothing of SATA or RAID (this is a non-RAID machine, the SATA is the only HD).
    The second problem, is not being able to access internet throught the onboard LAN. I've got a cable modem and I've installed what I think are the correct drivers for the MOBO but still I can not get Win98 to connect to the net. HELP!!! I feel like a PC idiot. I also have some other boot drive error issues but I deal with them once I get the thing running.
    Thanks for any help.

Re: Win XP upgrade problem on new HD

Originally posted by jackdp
    Here's the situation...I've got Win98SE and WinXP upgrade...so I've got to install Win98 and then do the upgrade on the new HD right?
    Wrong.

You can clean install with the XP upgrade CD though you will need to have your 98SE CD and its product key handy when its asked for.

Comment

In regards to your internet connection issue, i suggest you contact your cable company, sometimes they restrict internet access to MAC level, which means your old pc, with its MAC can get access, but your new one with a new MAC can't. If thats the case, you simply ring them and they will add your new MAC address to the cable modem for you.

Gary

Comment

Okay, in regards to the WinXP upgrade...I've tried a clean install and WinXP fails to recognize my hard drive whereas Win 98 does. Maybe I don't have the SATA drive setup properly? Thx for the suggestions...I'll try the cable company out too.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdp
          Okay, in regards to the WinXP upgrade...I've tried a clean install and WinXP fails to recognize my hard drive whereas Win 98 does.
          Did you transfer the SATA controller drivers from the mainboard CD onto floppy disk so you can load them when you're asked to hit F6 for SCSI/RAID drivers during the start of the XP setup?

Comment

I have now made the drivers disk from the mobo CD and do the F6 thing and when prompted I install the SATA WinXP drivers. A bunch of stuff loads, I'm greeted with the WinXP setup menu. I select Install WinXP and then I'm told that WinXP has not detected a Hard disk and set up will not continue. What step am I missing here...something in the bios? Like mentioned before, Win98 finds the drive without drivers but then if I try XP over top of 98 I get the setup shutdown error. HELP...I told the wife I'd have this new PC built and running by the time she gets home. TIA

Comment

I can't think of what you are missing, but you could try installing 98 and then starting the XP installation from inside 98. You can still do a clean install and reformat, but this will take a lot longer since you have to install 98. You shouldn't have to do this, but if you can't figure out a way to get through the normal XP setup, I don't see that you have much other choice.

Comment

Which SATA connections are you using (the VIA one, the 2 beside the floppy connector, or the Promise one, the 2 lower ones)?

Comment

Working...
                X