Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION!!!!

hi folks!

i recently found an old pc in my garage ( if you go to the linux forum you'll find all the HW detailes).
    for who's to lazy lets say it's got 100Mhz CPU and 8MB EDORAM( i think it's enough!!)

It came with windows 95 ( the first edition not that other osr 2 or something...now i can't remember!).

together there was also a restoration cd ( of windows 95 of course ).

my question is: how can I install windows 95 from the restoration cd after having fat16 formatted my HD??

I tried accessing the windows\options\cabs folder and found a setup file and some "precopy" files; if I ain't wrong I shoul execute this setup file and then windows should install....write? BUT when I do so my system hangs ...in dos!!!! I can here many beeps coming out from the computer!!( fortunately it didn't explode!! :lips: )

please help!!

thanks
    mad_alfred :)

Chow mio, man you are definitely dragging up ancient history with this post.
    How's that supply of Speyside single malt scotch whisky holding out?

Anyway, if memory serves me correctly, reformat if your intial format command didn't look as follows (assuming your drives are A: floppy, C: HD
    and D: CD/DVD):

from D: drive prompt type: Format C:\S

Than do a cold boot (shut down and count of 10 restart) if setup doesn't run
    at this point you'll have to create a dos directory on C: drive by typing:
    MD DOS open that dir and copy Copy D:\Dos.* C:
    You should than be able to run setup. Good luck my friend. I'll dig through my software and hardcopy and repost if neccessary.

Dryadsoul....................
    Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you recall.

Comment

Hello there.

I have actually done a similar install in the recent past :) It sure is fun! (intense sarcasm)

First off, I would suggest having a win95 or 98 boot disk handy that will let you boot and access the CD-ROM drive. (I didnt read your post in the Linux forum so forgive me if you have already mentioned any of this sort of thing) After booting from the disk, type in what dryadsoul said, except it should be format c: /s .

After formatting, boot once again from the floppy drive, and you should be able to access the CD-ROM. Access the root directory of the CD, and type in setup. That should work, in theory. If not, you can go into the directories on the CD and copy all of hte *.cab files onto your HD, as well as the setup.exe file, and install directly from the hard drive.

I hope this helps somewhat, and if its too vague I can gladly post more.

~Bug

Comment

My opinion is to try a different OS. You only tried FreeBSD. If you're comfortable with that, you would be fine with all sorts of *NIXes. Try an old Linux distro or something. Hell, use DOS or UNIX unless you want a graphical interface.
        What are you going to use this for, anyway? The only use I can see is a distrubted computing program like Folding@Home or SETI@home. It's probably too slow to make a good web server, and what you have now is abviously better for e-mail, web browsing, etc. If you just want to see it work with an OS, remember that OSes on Floppies are still OSes. That's where old *NIXes and DOS should be run from! ;) And you can always plop them on the HDD if you want. Hell, you could even try a live-CD Linux distro like Knoppix, although most would be too much for the computer.

Whatever, that's just my :2cents:

If you really want 95, getting a boot disk and running the setup from the disk should work. Try something from http://www.bootdisk.com/ or just a 98 boot disk. Most DOS disks should run that setup program (maybe all of them will). You can use the same disk for formatting. Just copy fisk.exe onto it from a Windows 98 installation or something like that. It runs fine off of a DOS floppy. Delete everything and format in FAT-16 (looks like you did already, though). Good luck to you. :thumb:

Comment

here I am....

I tryed lots of things.... too many... but never mind.

I booted from floppy and tryed to run the sutup file again and again... but system continues to hang... perhaps i should load some better cd drivers in the boot floppy(....naaaa!).

or purchase another windows installation disk....but I don't wanna!! :cry:

ok! i formatted that darn hd and copyed all the cab files oh hd ( actually I just copyed the windows\options\cabs folder with setup and all that crap, but pc still hangs...

In fact I'm working same time with win95 and freebsd... so I'll be writing in both forums: FreeBSD---> http://forums.tweaktown.com/viewtopic.php?t=18631

ps thanks again 4 helping!!:)

Comment

Working...
          X