got some weird problems, i could use some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got some weird problems, i could use some help please

i'm having some issues that i don't quite understand. i think i might have a virus of some sort but norton says i don't. my computer took close to 4 minutes to boot up when it usually only takes around 30 sec. once i got the desktop showing i noticed that everything seems a little slower, somewhat sluggish. I decided to reinstall windows, but it fails to boot from the cd-rom, so i let it boot up again and tried to do it from the desktop but both my cdroms show ANY cd as an audio cd and no matter what's on the cd, it shows only one small audio file and nothing else. I've tried every way that i can think of to run the cd in there but it won't do anything but bring up winamp and then that program stops responding and closes my desktop which takes forever to bring itself back up.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

just to give more info:

I tried to install windows on my other hard drive, but the bios says "floppy disk failed (40)" i press F1 to continue

on the next bios screen, at the bottom it says "verifying...pool data" but then it gives me an error about a missing file. the cdrom never tries to run the windows cd.

i booted the computer back up with the other hard drive and now it too gives me a floppy disk failed error.

I can't use the cd-roms at all. i've tried uninstalling their drivers and reinstalling them but that hasn't worked either. no matter what cd i put in there it labels it as an audio cd and shows only one file "track.cda"

i'm at a complete loss as how to reinstall windows.

has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?

Comment

Go to your device manager, uninstall the IDE channel that your CD drives are on (normally the secondary IDE channel) and then reboot. Also the full error message that you get about the missing file would help.

Comment

ok...i uninstalled the secondary ide channel as you suggested, rebooted, the 2nd ide was reinstalled automatically and i still have the same problem. the cdrom shows audio cd's.

I tried using my old win 98 boot disk and cd. The boot disk starts to install the cdrom drivers and then says "no device found, install aborted" it then continues with the pci bus scans and then when it normally starts to boot from the cd it says "no cdrom found"

i tried to boot using just my winxp cd but it gives me an error also. saying "disk boot failure, insert system disk...

:twisted:

Comment

i am completely stumped over this, i've been messing around with drivers all day but i'm not making any progress. it seems like something has gotten into my drivers files in windows. that's the only thing i can think of because .exe driver files seem not to work at all and the others i've downloaded are those screwy bottable disk ones which i don't have the ability to do. i got a different cd rom off another computer and the same thing happens to it too. i can't use the cdrom's at all because they take every cd and only show it as one small audio file

if anyone has any suggestions please lay them on me because i'm throwing up my hands here. i'd love to wipe everything off and start over, usually that's so easy to do...but i can't even do that! i'm running into walls here and can't see a way out.

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Comment

do you have a floppy drive installed.

boot from a floppy. 98 boot disk or something and then FDISK the hard drive, you will lose everything if you do format the drive

Comment

yes the floppy is working good thank god. i almost did that fdisk with the 98 floppy a few hours ago but i chickened out. the reason why is because i took my slave drive which doesn't have an OS on it and made it the only master drive and then tried to install windows like it was just from scratch but it never booted from the cd it just gave me an error which i can't remember what it was but it was some kind of these files are missing error. it wasn't the "ntldr is missing" but something else.

anyway...so i was afraid to format and have the same thing happen because then i wouldn't be able to use the comp at all, ya know.

if you think it'll work let me know, because at this point i've tried everything else.

do i need to do something to my bios or cmos by chance???

Comment

is the cdrom set as a boot device in the bios. it should be in advanced settings or something. set boot device 1 to the cd and 2 to the hard drive then see if you can boot from the cd.

what are your specs?

Comment

Asus A7N8X DX
                  Athlon XP 2100
                  1024mb PC2700
                  (2) WD 80g HDD's
                  Chaintech GF3 Ti200
                  LG 52x cdrom
                  LG 32x cdrw

If have set the bios to boot from the cdrom first, however if i leave the HDD on there as even a second or third boot device, it'll just boot from the HDD. so it'll boot from the floppy and the HDD, but not the cdrom.

Comment

could you boot from the floppy then try accessing the CD from the command prompt.

have you tryed a new cd drive, the drive may not be working.

Comment

i've tried a cdrom from a different computer, but it did the same thing as the others.

the win98 floppy wasn't able to install the drivers for the cdrom when it was booting. it would try to install the drivers and then say "no device found...aborting installation" so once it went through the pci bus scans and stuff and i'd get the a:\ prompt. It wasn't able to access the cdrom, i couldn't get the prompt to work.

Comment

How exactly do you have your IDE channels setup (what drives and which are masters and slaves)?

Comment

well, when the problem started, it was as follows:

Primary IDE
                          Master: WD 80g (Drive C & D)
                          Slave: WD 80g (Drive E & F)

Secondary IDE
                          Master: LG 32x cdrw (Drive G)
                          Slave: LG 52x cdrom (Drive H)

As of right now, i've changed it up a bit. The HDD's are the same, i just took the slave offline because that's the one I have my personal files and backup files in.

Secondary IDE
                          Master: LG 52x cdrom (Drive D)

all of the jumpers have been changed on them when i changed them up, so everythings fine there.

Comment

Here's what I did before the problems started. Maybe this will help figure it out.

My brother was having problems with his computer, he said it was real slow, etc etc. So, i went and tried to defrag his HDD but it was indeed very very slow. So, I decided to just reinstall windows for him fresh. I took out his HDD, because he only has one. I took his HDD to my computer, unhooked my slave cdrom and hooked his HDD into it's position. The computer was off when i did this. I booted up, everything was fine, I took all his personal files and saved them onto my F drive and then shutdown the computer, hooked my slave cdrom back up and went to install windows on his HDD at his computer. When i came back to my computer from doing that and turned it on, that's when the problems started. It booted to that WINXP page with the blue scrolling bar and i sat on that page with the thing scrolling for at least a good 30 or 40 seconds which was unusual enough for me to reboot 2 or 3 times until i got fed up and left them room with it booting. it did indeed boot up but it takes several minutes. so, that's what i had done before the problems started.

Comment

ok, i'm going to try and load new drivers for the cdrom. I've downloaded them from LG and according to the directions I need to create a bootable disk to load these from, however it says that it needs to be done from win98 or win95 which i don't have running.

how can i create a bootable disk to load these new drivers from?

Thanks!

here's the directions from LG's website:

Note: If you have Windows 2000, ME, or XP already installed, you will need to create a
                              bootable disk from another operating system like DOS, Win95 or Win98 in order to process this firmware update.
                              Follow the steps below.

1. Place: A blank floppy diskette in your 3.5" disk drive A:
                              2. Double-Click: My Computer Icon on your desktop
                              3. Right-Click: The drive letter that is the 3.5" drive.
                              4. Choose : Format.
                              5. Choose: Copy System Files Only, Click OK.
                              6. Download the Firmware and Execution file to the same folder(ex: a:)
                              7. Copy: The Firmware and Execution file to the new floppy diskette
                              8. Let: The PC Make the disk bootable.
                              9. Re-Boot your PC with the bootable disk in Drive A: (Note: you may need to change your boot sequence
                              in the CMOS Setup in order to boot to drive A. Please see your motherboard manual for instructions or
                              contact your PC manufacture for instructions on changing the boot sequence.)
                              10. At the A:\\>jv2 jv2lg627(not include extension name) then press enter.

Comment

Working...
                              X