Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing processors with XP

What happens if I change the processor in my computer??,

Will XP load after, or will I have to re-install it???

90% it hsould accept it no problem.....XP has a feature that detects system specs, and takes it that those settings are YOUR computer, and if they change a few times, then it needs to be re activated!!

Comment

The reason that I ask is that I changed the motherboard, memory and processor, and the people that installed this said that XP does not function when you change something like the motherboard etc.

I'm plannig to do this on another computer, so i wanted to know what to expect.

Thanks

Comment

You only ask what happens if you change only the processor. But changing mobo and mem/ cpu then you have to reformat and install the chipset drivers for the motherboard. So you definitely have to reformat when you change the mobo, mem / cpu in order for it to run smoothly.
        CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
        Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
        RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
        GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
        PSU: Thermaltake 500w
        SC: Audigy 2 zs
        LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
        Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
        Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

You don't have to reformat, you could just reinstall. Reformatting isn't a bad idea, though. If you just change processor, it's not a problem. Even changing RAM shouldn't cause problems (unless you use less RAM then you did before). If you change motherboard, you have to reinstall.

Comment

Working...
          X