EU planning massive fine against Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU planning massive fine against Microsoft

:shoot3: :shoot2: Looks like Europe is not very happy with microsoft Claiming that Microsoft should release a version of winodws not bundeled with Windows Media player. 617 million dollar lawsuit

The fine, Rosoff noted, is less than the $750 million that Microsoft agreed to pay Aol-timewarner lawsuit (now renamed Time Warner) last year to settle that company's private antitrust suit.

Saying that Microsoft's abuse of its monopoly power is "ongoing," the European Commission--the executive branch of the European Union--said that it will seek to have Microsoft reveal the technical details necessary for Microsoft's competitors in low-end servers to achieve full interoperability with Windows PCs and servers. As for Windows Media Player, the commission said that either that software should be unbundled from Windows or Microsoft should be forced to bundle competitors' media players as well.

:snip: :hammer: Heads will roll.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Yes,but this is peanuts to them 617 Billion is more like it
    0%
    No, this is only a result of Jealousy
    0%
    I'm not sure Atm I need more info
    0%
    I really don't care, this dosen't concern me
    0%

No one is forced to use Microsoft operating systems or software.
    I find these actions ludicrous and above all self defeating to the software/operating system industry.

If you have a beef with Microsoft you should vote with your pocketbook.

Use another operating system - simple as that!

Before you start whining about interoperability/compatibility and how an alternative OS just won't meet your needs, just what do you think the ramifications of lawsuits like this will do to enable an alternative.
    Nothing at all.
    This type of ridiculous sanctions does nothing to further the cause whatsoever.

This doesn't serve anyone in any way so far as I can see?

We're just missing the forest by seeing nothing but trees as far as I can tell.

Microsoft operating systems have come with a bundle of tools for quite some time now. If you choose to use a non-Microsoft tool all it requires is a bit of research to find, acquire and install one.

I've had some limited experience with a couple operating systems from Microsoft and have never felt limited to using their software exclusively.

And just who in the hell assumed lawyers know jack about PCs any damn way!

This is just completely lame - same as the countless suits against Microsoft here in the United States.

I'm posting this as I'm testing my just burned Knoppix CD - which so far I'm just completely tickled with.
    I sincerely hope no one sues Knoppix over silly crap like this. I'd much rather they not be burdened with lawsuits and be allowed to improve and innovate this dandy little OS on a CD they've got here.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

This is insane. If I buy an OS, it better damn well come with a media player, OMFG... What's next, an OS that doesn't come with it's own set of cursors? WTF

Comment

And I would like to mention that the last time Europe attempted to apply a heavy tax to MS's products, MS sent a representative that said, "If this tax is implemented, Microsoft will cease all sales to all affected areas" the tax discussions were dropped immediatly.

And seriously, who are they kidding? Do they really think the EU has ANY AUTHORITY over MS, LOL!!! They'll see miliary action from the US before they see a cent of whatever ridiculous ruling they make.

Comment

bundling software with an OS is fine, the problem comes when you can't remove it becuase it been embedded in the OS; now there reallly is no need what-so-ever for that. I wouldn't give a rats ass what Microsoft bundled with Windows if I could just remove it, or choose not to install it in the first place.
          :thumbs do

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul

They'll see miliary action from the US before they see a cent of whatever ridiculous ruling they make.
            Don't forget that were in Iraq atm :thumb:

Comment

Maybe I should sue Chevrolet for not letting me order a Corvette with a Viper motor. :roll:

The EU needs to be dismantled. They already f-ed up motorcycles and are working at even more stupid ideas (like air bags and seat belts on a motorcycle :x )

Comment

minibubba, those are all fine points and well worthwhile for many users should those options be implemented.

Until such time, File Associations has always been enough to prevent me from seeing unwanted bundled programs for the most part.
                The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

If so many folks wanna ***** and moan about Microsoft, why don't the lazy $^%^&'s build their own operating system? Then and only then will their be a reasonable response to Microsoft.
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

does [this] count? :P

Comment

Funny... I don't see THEM suing Microsoft for millions and billions of dollars. But they are one of very few who would actually have a leg to stand on if they felt they were being kept out due to fully proprietary applications.
                      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                      My Toys

Comment

:roll:
                        [rant][sub-rant]I don't see why the EU doesn't sue for much more. Microsft is clearly extending it's monopoly by trying to take over all forums of software. Windows comes with a shell and built-in file manager called Explorer.exe. This is a business tactic used to take money from companies such as Gladiator Software Incorporated, which makes AstonShell. Windows has an internet browser (actually, there have been suits over this), which takes money from companies and organizations like Mozilla and Netscape. There is an e-mail client, called Outlook Express, that takes money from companies that make e-mail clients and from e-mail services (you can download the messages rather than going to the ad-filled web page). Mozilla comes to mind again (it make some money off of orders for it products, not everyone downloads). Microsoft also bundles Window with games, (such as solitaire) which takes money from companies that would wish to make those games. It.....[/sub-rant]

There is indeed truth in my satirical rant. However, suing just Microsoft for trying to gain more power in the software industry because they include Windows Media Player in Windows is rediculous. Just because Microsoft is om top doesn't mean every other company that bundles unneccesary (define unneccessary in this context, there's a five-year legal battle right there) software in it's operating systems has the right to and Microsoft doesn't. Microsoft, furthermore, is not a monopoly, in any fields. Many other operating systems are used and make money (I see a hell of a lot more Apple advertisements than Microsoft), and that's one of the few software fields they control. I would hardly consider "operating systems" to be its own industry, anyway. Microsoft certainly doesn't control the entire software industry. Here's a short list of just a few of the companies that do the same thing Microsoft does with this software bundling.

Red Hat Inc.
                        Lindows.com
                        MandrakeSoft
                        Apple Computer Inc.
                        SUSE Inc.

For a more complete (not totally) list of companies that include "unneccesary" software as part of operating system(s) sold by those companies, possibly as an attempt to gain more power in the those industries, click here and click the "go" button. None of those orginizations are truly non-profit for those who would try to use that arguement.

I don't like Microsoft, or even Windows, for that matter. In fact, I think Linux is the best thing that happened since sliced bread. However, corrupting the court system (whatever court system you want) with rediculous interpretations of laws as some sort of attempt at "sanctioned" vigilante justice (Microsoft commits many crimes, undoubtly. However, innocent before proven guilty is supposed to apply in most "free" countries), is not going to help. In fact, the corruption caused is far more than the small amount of justice that comes from it. Microsoft might deserve this, but the justice system does not.[/rant]
                        :thumbs do

Comment

You do make some good points sir!
                          However I do question the addition of a file manager as being heavy-handed?
                          To me a file manager seems essential to on operating system.

But, I do think next time I have a software isssue I will find an online forum populated by lawyers, as they seem to be more knowledgable on the topic than anyone else could ever be.
                          Anyone know a good lawyer forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                            However I do question the addition of a file manager as being heavy-handed?
                            I was being sarcastic. My point was, who gets to define what is and isn't too much? Lookng at it the way the EU seems to be, including a file manager with the OS is Microsoft taking advantage of it's monopoly to ensure that no one else can make and sell file managers for Windows.
                            Originally posted by Mr. C
                            Anyone know a good lawyer forum?
                            No, but I know a good lawyer.
                            :D

Comment

the only way Microsoft or Windows will ever change will be with stiff competitoin. It doesn't matter how much people try to sue them for, or how many little people whine, as long as they keep makeing insane amounts of money, they wont change.

Yes, Linux can become that competition, but I hope to god that Linux does not become like windows. People say that Linux isn't user-friendly enough, or it isn't this or that compared to Windows; well good! It was never supposed to be! If Linux becomes windows-like then I will have to change my operating system yet again, ever hear of freeBSD?

What all you winodws whiners need is for a different, novice fiendly OS to emerge that my 85 yr old grandmother could use.

If you think Windows is so bad, or Microsoft is so evil then don't use it or buy their products (or download, shame on you that do).</rant>

Comment

Working...
                              X