Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mram q.'s and tasks

i heard how perssian immortal has only 60-80 ? commit charge
    and i started wondering how come i got more ?
    atm i got 14 proc' running and the commit charge is
    120M

:
    explorer - 46
    svchost - 10
    em_exec (wtf is this) - 5
    lsass (and this ?) - 5
    svchost - 3
    services - 3
    ctfmon (and this ?) - 3
    cachemanxp - 1
    smss - what is this ?

;p tnx for all help
    and
    sry 4 noobish q. jsut seeking basic knowledge ;p

It's simple - you haven't removed all the unnecessary startup items. You don't need Cacheman to start everytime you bootup for example. The fact that you don't know what some of them do doesn't help. Read my 1st WinXP guide and on page 7 there is a link to 2 guides which tell you what common startup items are.
    My Machine

Comment

Here's my processes list just after booting up. Note that the only nonstandard items there are dslagent and gsicon - both programs are for my DSL modem:
      My Machine

Comment

since I've got nothing better to do, here's mine for comparison :devil:

Comment

Both of you guys have programs that he doesn't need (that you didn't mention).:)
          alg.exe and avgserv.exe. I know what they're for but he might not have them. I have firefox running so that's one extra, I have hkcmd.exe which you might not have (never mind what it is), I have spoolsv.exe for my printer, and I have Cacheman.exe running (which I see no reason not to have at startup other than maybe booting a few seconds faster). Take those off and you have what you need unless some of your drivers or programs that want to start with require additional processes. Don't go randomly unticking items in msconfig, make sure you know what everything is. And go through PI's guide, it should help you in other areas as wells.
          Edit: Oh yeah, in case you ever get curious again, go here

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
            Both of you guys have programs that he doesn't need (that you didn't mention).:)
            alg.exe and avgserv.exe.
            alg.exe is the Application Layer Gateway - the built in XP Firewall...how do you know he doesn't need that?

[b]
            I have Cacheman.exe running (which I see no reason not to have at startup other than maybe booting a few seconds faster).
            Reason is simple - 100% of cacheman's effectiveness comes from the once-only tweaking of registry entries it does. Having it boot at startup and sit in the background trying to "free RAM" actually doesn't work. IF you read the Virtual Memory guide in my XP guide you'll see why the way Cacheman frees up RAM is a fallacy for performance purposes.

Also commit charge varies from machine to machine, even with the same processes depending on personal preferences like the wallpaper you use and whether you use the XP classic or default appearance (affects the size of the explorer.exe process).

The aim is to get rid of things which take up RAM and more importantly sit in the background and occasionally take up CPU cycles - which can be critical if you run a CPU-intensive game (like UT2004).
            My Machine

Comment

Why on Earth would he need XP's built-in firewall? I personally see no reason in using it, but that's another argument for another time. He certainly doesn't need it in the sense that he does other services.

Obviously Cacheman won't do much good just sitting there, it won't free up anything unless your almost out of memory, which isn't going to be a problem 99% of the time in XP, maybe in 9x. However, it does improve performance in games\benchmarks\etc. if you free up memory before running the program. I could prove this if you really wanted me to, but I'd rather not. There are arguably better programs for doing this anyway, but Cacheman will do the trick. If he doesn't even use Cacheman, it doesn't matter. It's not worth arguing about anyway, certainly not here.

Comment

Why on Earth would he need XP's built-in firewall? I personally see no reason in using it, but that's another argument for another time.
                Quick comment on that - for a workstation environment which I work with every day, that firewall, while very basic, is handy for stopping a few little things. Did you know that it stopped viruses like Blaster? But it doesn't matter.

Just had a look at my list. 35 processes. Perhaps I should run through that guide. :)

Comment

Thirty-five processes, how did you manage that? :wow: You might want to take a quick jump to page 7. I'm betting for your setup you'll want to leave Workstation, Server, and NLA on automatic. But you must use a lot of software, holy crap!:wow: :laugh:

Comment

Aside from Windows processes, I've got Trillian, Direct Update, AVG x 2, Remote Control Manager (Audigy), Hardware Monitor, Creative System Volume Control, Intellitype32, Intellipoint32, Win VNC and ATi apps. I also had all the IIS services running, but I've turned them off. Knocked off 8 processes. :)

Comment

Did you take a look at msconfig? I don't know what the situation is with your workstation, but I bet you bring it to 21 or less, not counting any programs that are running right now that you don't use constantly.

unneccesary processes and servcies :shoot2:

Comment

I run 21 processes at startup but then I also use those processes and everyone has different needs/requirements.

Comment

Did you take a look at msconfig? I don't know what the situation is with your workstation, but I bet you bring it to 21 or less, not counting any programs that are running right now that you don't use constantly.

unneccesary processes and servcies :shoot2:
                          Actually, I do need everything that's running at the moment. I do know what I'm doing. :) A couple extra services isn't really gonna hurt my machine in a hurry, so I'm not terribly fussed.

Comment

Those services come into our homes at night and
                            I know you know what you're doing (that was illustrated a long time ago:) ), I was just amazed that you use that many programs. Not really any of my business though. And just a little bit off-topic.:o

Comment

I think that I beat Beff atm with what I'm runnin' but then they ain't slowin' me down either though there are a few things that I'm not usin' at this time that would add to that list. :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                              X