Sysprep for winXP pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sysprep for winXP pro

I would like to know if some 1 know how to tell sysprep to choose a computer name from a name poll.

Originally posted by Dia
    I would like to know if some 1 know how to tell sysprep to choose a computer name from a name poll.
    huh? :confused:
    can you please be a little more specific?

Comment

ok

What i want to do is this:

I have let's say 10 computer name's, and those are:
      pc1,pc2,pc3,pc4,pc5,pc6,pc7,pc8,pc9,pc10

Now what i want is when sysprep kicks in i want him to check the network to see if any of those names are in use and if they aren't he choose 1 of those names and use it as a computer name.

And to be more detailed here is the situation:

I need to get windows xp pro running in 10-20 pc's and those pc's must each have an unique name but the pc name must begin with let's say stork followed by a number from 1 to 20.
      So what i want to do is install windows xp pro on a machine have a sysprep answer file intalled on it run sysprep and b4 windows load i will make a ghost of the partition so when i "copy" the image to the other pc's sysprep will install everything automaticaly including the computer names.

Comment

What's there to be more specific about? :)

I didn't actually realise that Sysprep could assign computer names from a location. How is it to know what name has / hasn't been used, or what needs to be assigned to which computer? You can set it to automatically generate a name, which is usually a random string of numbers, or you can set it to a specific name (no good for multiple PCs), or you can leave it blank and fill it in during install.

Personally, with the 80+ machines I look after, I just run a mini-setup, where all I enter is the Computer Name and Admin Password. Everything else comes from the INF file.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
          What's there to be more specific about? :)
          :o sorry about that, apparently I read the first post in a bit of a hurry, my fault. :hammer:

Comment

If you don't use Sysprep, it doesn't make sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
              If you don't use Sysprep, it doesn't make sense...
              I have used it before, that's the problem :o
              although it's been a while and wasn't with enough PCs to warrent it...

Comment

Thx for the help, i will use the automatic name option :)

Comment

Working...
                X