No announcement yet.

WINDOWS vs LINUX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah, XP is good even if you don't know what your doing (well, a year with no maintenance and your pretty much screwed). Linux is good if you know what your doing. If you already have XP there's little reason to change (dual-boot maybe, but not switch), but if your going to get a computer with no OS and you wanna take the time to learn Linux, it's definetely worth it. In any case, Linux is simply better, if you know what your doing. Mac is good if you're never going to know what your doing or if you want to do stuff the really easy way. Extreme ease at the price of the user's control and money (and right-clicking:grr: ).

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
      Mac is good if you're never going to know what your doing or if you want to do stuff the really easy way. Extreme ease at the price of the user's control and money (and right-clicking:grr: ).
      Tell that to the users of Final Cut Pro, or Photoshop, or any other complex editing tool used on a Mac. Plus Macs don't always do things the easy way (not that making something easier is a bad thing). As for your continual gripe with the one mouse button, I personally use a Logitech MX700 on one of the Macs here at work. With full 8 button support. Including a right click and mouse wheel. :)

Comment

I love Mac.

Just wanted to state that. Its hard for me NOT to start a flame war here. Buts thats not right, specially its off topic for this post.

So yea. I found linux easy too....:thumb:

Comment

Go check my post in the Other Operating Systems forum. Long as hell but it will prevent Beefy and I from discussing things forever. :)
          Last time I checked, Photoshop is on Windows too. Last time I checked was about 30 seconds ago since I do have it installed. There are plenty of good video and picture editing programs on Linux and Windows, and the Mac ones aren't much (if any) better. Hell, friggin Windows Movie Maker isn't a bad program. I have actually used it in making videos for school work. Easy as hell to use. I saw a Mac program a lot like it once. Can't remember the name but I bet it doesn't come free with Mac OS X. Movie Maker comes free with XP. If your a proffesional of some form and you need a Mac-only program, fine. But if not, you don't need those Mac programs. As for the right-clicking thing, it's also the interface. It's not quite as good (in my opion) as Explorer and Linux shells (i.e Gnome, KDE) are with their whole right-clicking thing. Control-click is a pain, and that's what I'm forced to use at school (1-button mice! Ahhh!). Anyway, I was putting the right-clicking thing in parenthesis with smilies because it's not a serious argument against the use of Macs.

Comment

I just deleted a 7 paragraph long rant, because I calmed down enough to realise it doesn't belong. End of Mac talk here.

Comment

I went to far with that. I got what I deserved. I'm done for tonight. Sorry.:(

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                Linux isn't invulnerable, but it's a lot harder to screw with than Linux
                :AAO voice:
                "That dont make no sense at all......"

Comment

Opps. It was kind of late when I posted that. I meant "Linux isn't invulnerable, but it's a lot harder to screw with Linux." But I bet you knew what I meant....

Comment

I had a lot of stuff messed up in that post. I tend to leave out a word or throw an extra one in every once in a while when I type long posts and don't read them through when done.

Comment

Heh, I do the same thing, well, I've been reading, and Linux is cool to screw around with, but its not what I'm looking for. If I build a server I'll def use it, but that's it. Right now I'm going to stick with XP because I know it really well, and I mostly do gaming, web surfing, word processing, and minimal file editing. Thanks for all the links though, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

thats the thing. everybodys used to windows, so switchin to linux could take a long time to learn, so i suppose most people will put it on dual boot with windows.

Comment

Re-compile the kernal. Youll learn quite alot about how the system works if you look into it enough.

Comment

Working...
                          X