Widows 98 can't find CDRom drive on install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widows 98 can't find CDRom drive on install

I'm reformatting and installing Windows 98 to an old system for someone. In the past when I used Win 98 and this happened I used the diskettes (48 of them:eek: ) and it was a pain. How do I get this system to recognize the CDRom without an O.S. on it so I can use a Win98 CD instead. Isn't there a universal driver for this somewhere that can be installed without an OS?

It's called a boot disk, or as Microsoft like to call it, a start up disk.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
      It's called a boot disk, or as Microsoft like to call it, a start up disk.
      I know, I didn't think I had a boot disk with a CDRom driver left over from years ago but did manage to find one in an old box, I was worried I'd have to find someone with a 98 machine or use those 48 discettes I talked about with a boot disc that has no CDRom driver on it.
      Actually I think there is a way to install a CDRom driver without a bootdisk, startupdisk, or OS, I remember doing it years ago while be talked though it by a Goldstar CDRom tech support person.

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebob
        Actually I think there is a way to install a CDRom driver without a bootdisk, startupdisk, or OS, I remember doing it years ago while be talked though it by a Goldstar CDRom tech support person.
        If you ever need a bootdisk for something like then, then www.bootdisk.com is the place to go. ;)

As for installing a CD-ROM driver with a disk or OS, answer me these two questions:

a) Drivers are made for each operating system (be DOS, Windows or all the other variants). So, if there were no boot disk or OS, which driver would you use? :)
        b) Where would the driver come from? It can't come from a disk, because it would require even the most basic OS to read the file and load it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
          If you ever need a bootdisk for something like then, then www.bootdisk.com is the place to go. ;)

As for installing a CD-ROM driver with a disk or OS, answer me these two questions:

a) Drivers are made for each operating system (be DOS, Windows or all the other variants). So, if there were no boot disk or OS, which driver would you use? :)
          b) Where would the driver come from? It can't come from a disk, because it would require even the most basic OS to read the file and load it.
          Didn't know that existed:) .

A. :shrug: If the driver fits use it....
          B. It seems as though I had to D-load something onto a diskette from another system but it was so long ago I can't remember the specifics. Didn't think it was a startup disk but back then I was brand spanking new to puters so if you told me it was I'd believe it:bounce: .

Comment

add/remove hardware, do a search for non plug n' play devices. Make sure to keep a windows cd nearby. Or run windows update and get the driver from there.

Comment

Working...
            X