Need to Remove an "old" Windows OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to Remove an "old" Windows OS

I have just installed XP Home on my Dad's computer, but since XP won't upgrade W2K, they are residing side by side in the same partition. (I have the option of choosing which one at start up.) Is there a way of removing/uninstalling the W2K without reformatting the drive? I don't think deleting the WINNT folder is the way to go.

Also, am I mistaken in my assumption that XP Pro will upgrade W2K Pro? (Or would have, if I had bought it?)

Thanks for your assistance.
    :-(

It's been my understanding that winXP Pro should upgrade win2k, but they are so similar that I have never bothered to do it. Actually, I always format & install when I upgrade (which you can do with the upgrade versions, you just need the CD-Key from your previous Windows incarnation).

As for removing win2k from the existing setup, the only way I know how to do it, is to format. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea.

:cheers:

Comment

there might be a way or program to remove ur w2k...
      but even u remove w2k... the system wont be stable any more... crash anytime u can think about.... that s the fact.. it happened to my friend's PC a couple of months ago...

so, my recommendation is " in order to haf a stable and cleaning windows, u should backup ur inportant files and format them all ruthless:wow: :wow:

Comment

Thanks to you both. We seem to have a consensus. Will reformat when I get the chance. :thumb:
        :-(

Comment

sorry we couldn't give you a better answer :shrug:

Comment

Working...
          X