Windows XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP

Question: I wan't to format my hard drive to ntfs for xp but it's an up grade version the only way xp loads if i have another OS loaded i have ME on now with xp( fat 32 ). Will ME load onto nfts and then put XP on or do i have to have a full version of XP.

you can do a clean install with an Upgrade CD. Just boot off the XP upgrade CD and early on it will ask for your previous winOS CD (insert your winME CD here). Once the setup continues you can format your partitions with NTFS. However, you will loose any data on this partition, so make sure that you backed up all your data beforehand.

If all that is too much trouble (it shouldn't be...) you can upgrade from winME and convert the fat32 to ntfs ...but I strongly don't recommend either

Comment

hey minibubba wots the best way of backing up all your data:confused: i want to re format but don't want to loose any of my data:thumb:

Comment

burning CDs is the most practicle imo. If you burn your user directory to CD (C:\Documents and Settings/*username*/) that will grab your My Docs and Bookmarks (no matter what browser you use, there just in different lcations), as well as configs for differnt apps. If you use OE or Outlook, all of your data files are there as well. A number of programs have export functions for saving data that you may want to make use of. If you use Kazaa you will want to crab the Shared folder, unless you specified a differnt download path ..but I think they moved the location of the directory since the last time I used it, so i'm not sure where you should look. It's not really any more than going though your HDD and buring the dirictories with the data you want to save.

Comment

I haven't tried that myself, but no matter what route you take it is always a good idea to maintain a current backup of any important data (i.e the necessary, important, or irreplaceable documents, pics, and other files)

Comment

Originally posted by minibubba
            you can do a clean install with an Upgrade CD. Just boot off the XP upgrade CD and early on it will ask for your previous winOS CD (insert your winME CD here). Once the setup continues you can format your partitions with NTFS. However, you will loose any data on this partition, so make sure that you backed up all your data beforehand.

If all that is too much trouble (it shouldn't be...) you can upgrade from winME and convert the fat32 to ntfs ...but I strongly don't recommend either
            Thanks i will give it a shot and see what happens

Comment

Working...
            X