serious windows security warnings from M$ ...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serious windows security warnings from M$ ...again

SOFTWARE FIRM Microsoft issued three warnings about its software that could compromise peoples' personal computers.

One of them is very serious, a security firm tells the INQ. You should download the second patch immediately. According to Thomas Christensen, at Secunia, it is easily exploitable by people with not a great deal of technical knowledge.

The first relates to Microsoft Data Access Components, which come with W2K, Office 2000, and SQL Server. The notice is here.

The second relates to Internet Explorer. Microsoft says there's bugs in 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0 which could let people take over your computer. That notice is here.

Holy Vole! The third relates to multiple versions of Direct X which could let people take over your computer. The notification is here
    (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11135)
    is there no end to these major secutity flaws?

i have all three of them in my sig since last 2 days ;)

the end to these security flaws is only possible if those creepy hackers stop working on them or all the computers are made to stop connecting with internet.
    even the ftp.gnu.org was compromised by these sick guys (though it did involve an internal person).
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : [email protected]
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
      i have all three of them in my sig since last 2 days ;)
      woops... I didn't even notice :o

Comment

Just run Windows Update regularly and you won't have to pay any real attention to these flaws. I have and I haven't a problem in 2 years of using WinXP.

It's not Microsoft's fault that with the literally millions of users out there, that someone is bound to find holes in the code. No software is 100% secure or uncrackable.
        My Machine

Comment

i totally back PI on this.
          MS is doing its duty by releasing security bulletins, having technet, having knowledge base, providing us with online and automatic windows update; its high time we start doing our job of using those serivces :)
          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          jabber : [email protected]
          =======================
          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

I'm not going to disagree with you on that, M$ does do it's job by supplying patches and inforiming people of the problem. But something like this:
            [b]The third relates to multiple versions of Direct X which could let people take over your computer.
            means it's been around for quite some time. M$ isn't excatly known for it's tight OS security.

Comment

Working...
            X