Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usernaming and Passwording a Webpage

Hi Guys

I have developed a webpage for a clan but now I'm required to implement a page in which can only be accessed by the members of the clan. This members only page can only be accessed with the use of a username and password.

How do I go about accomplishing my mission?

PS:
    I'm using Dreamweaver 4 to develop all the webpages I'm required to do.

Thanx Guys.... :thumb:

are you using a free webhost like angelfire or the likes?
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Nope Andy

I'm using the webspace that was provided for me from my ISP when I signed up.

Why do you ask dude?

Comment

Could be because some web hosts require all pages to be accessible?
        You may find your ISP does also if you read the fine print.
        Unless you have CGI priveledges (which you probably don't with the free webspace commonly provided by ISP's) you won't be able to very effectively password a page. You will be limited to using a javascript type validation script - but that will be a piece of cake for someone to crack and gain access.

Or maybe he asked for another reason?
        The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

nope, Mr C. you hit the nail on the head :)
          TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Bugger.... :(

So by the looks of it, it will not be possible for me to successfully password a page.

I don't have a clue about which way in going to successfully do it. I mean, there is not a feature in Dreamweaver that will allow you to password a page. So the only way of doing it is to use scripts?

Comment

Unless you have CGI functions available, which is quite uncommon with free webspace. You can find a javascript tutorial online that will basically password a page, but as I stated it would be next to useless as anyone who wanted to could get the script from your page source.

You can probably get away with having an inaccesible page, your ISP probably won't make much of it unless it gets a lot of page hits - of course, that also depends on the content of the page as well I suppose - keep it clean and traffic low and you may be alright as your ISP probably has better things to do.
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

or you could put up a small (say 1x1 or 2x2 pixel) graphic and link that to the members page and tell everyone where abouts it is
                TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Mmmmm interesting guys.

I'm going to have a little think about it. I'll let you guys know on how I go on my quest.... :)

Comment

if you are using a unix server you can define the directory with permissions and it will prompt the user to log in. it requires a .htaccess and .htpasswd file in the directory.

Comment

or if yer webserver has php enabled then you could make a login page with that

Comment

But the question is, how do I go about doing it. I have never written a script for a page before.... :(

Comment

if yer server supports php i can give ya a template page for loggin in with php

Comment

That would be great.

Thanx dude.... :)

Comment

maybe this site can help you... nothing special, but not bad for the start...

:wave:

Comment

Working...
                              X