Will someone review my new site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will someone review my new site

I am starting a technology portal and would like a review on what everyone thinks. Does it load fast enough, what features are missing, something not quite right... Let me know.

Site to review : www.pc-overload.com

hard to read type....not reader friendly, have to squint..........throw all interaction links to the top, like forum discussion........don't put me on a search for it..............now condemn mine if you will http://www.associatedlandscape.com

Comment

Good simple layout, navigation starts alittle low on the page ( should be on top?), other than that I like it. Maybe you could jazz the graphics up alittle.

On my site, is the text really that small? I am on 1600x1200 so I don't notice.

Comment

but i use for gaming and on maps that are large, it's an advantage........but, i think a 10x12 will be more user friendly w/ a lot of cross interaction between the front page and the forums.........keep your news up and allow interaction there as well, and you're on your way, my 2 cents

Comment

ne0z, JSR, both of your sites are looking good :).

While we're plugging websites, might as well give my own a bit of a prop:

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

only your animated picture is lame.........don't let anyone peg your work ........stay cameleonlike in your approach................will add to your growth as well......my 2 cents

Comment

Gavin,
              I think your site is great. It has a nice layout and loads fast. The wireframe on the front page is a nice touch and it shows off your artistic talents. The only thing I am not sure if I like is the bottom bar mirrored from the top. all in all, a very nice site design.

Comment

Originally posted by JSR
                only your animated picture is lame.........don't let anyone peg your work ........stay cameleonlike in your approach................will add to your growth as well......my 2 cents
                Can't say I really understood that :).

a) What animated picture?
                b) What, exactly, is 'pegging' my work?
                c) The whole chameleon thing - wha?

But thanks for taking the time to look at the site :)

ne0z - Thanks for your comments. Perhaps the mirror at the bottom is a bit clunky, but it seems to balance the composition of the site out rather well. Maybe something to have a look at later :).

Comment

a) my bad, your inanimate picture of which is supposed to be you i guess, yet, may not appeal to everyone, therefore i'd lose it, even if you think it's cool
                  b) i guess in describing pegging your work, it means you have a certain style which may or not appeal to a potential client, explore some variety and stay innovative
                  c) cameleon thing? hmm, being able to adapt to the specific needs of a potential client, and able to provide alternative solutions for their concerns
                  overall, pretty good..........if you are the one who is in charge of tweaktown's site, i'd consider looking at sites like msn to see that the text type of tweaktown is on the squint to read side..........and, that forum bulletin needs to be top right front and center w/ bold fonts for front page and forum cohesion, with the front page bneing it's own specific forum in itself to reply to each particular news item in your current post a comment format..........lastly, well not really, condense the upper half of the front page lifting the news up in to the line of site, for starters :thumb:

Comment

JSR,
                    You made the comment on my site, gavin's site and tweaktown that you had to squint to read the text. It is my opinion that your monitor is not displaying pages correctly because all three sites are very easy to read. I am at work right now and have access to about 300 different type monitors, so I started going around and viewing all three pages and they were easy to read on all monitors tested. Mind you I did not test the pages on all 300 monitors, but enough to get a good baseline.

This was not meant to be a flame

Comment

Well even if I'm an old bugger I certainly don't have to squint to see the text (I don't wear glasses either) at any of the sites mention so....

Comment

my monitor is set to 16x12 rez 24/7.........so, i'm not used to monitors w/ 12x10 rez settings, yet as i surf......other sites, the fonts do seem a tad bit larger and more friendly to read, just my 2 cents.........i'm not taking the returned comments as a flame, and, be sure it is nothing but my best intention for what i am observing.........in other words, go to other sites and do a comparison, and ask yourself, is it earier to navigate and read, let's say, our forums, as compared to tweaktown.........i can modify the text to make it suitable, but, you asked..........
                        ps....i'm an old bugger too! and, i do wear glasses :thumb:

Comment

Thanks for the comments, JSR.

What browser are you using / what size is your monitor / do you have Cleartype enabled? I personally have no problems reading TweakTown's text, even at 1600x1200.

Comment

i'm currently starting to use opera due to ie starting to act virus like in pop ups trying to manifest themselves, even after the browser is turned off, so i've zone alarmed that site...............have a 21 inch sony crt, and i don't know about cleartype please elaborate

Comment

Cleartype changes your text from this:

To this:

To enable it (have to be running Windows XP), right click on your desktop and go to Properties. Then click 'Appearance' -> 'Effects...'. A dialog like this should pop up:

Just check the box 'Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:' and then select ClearType.

Makes a hell of a difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X