No announcement yet.

I'm a n00b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except limitations with NTFS partitions. ;)

Just make sure that ya share data on FAT32. :)

Comment

No need for one, you can read linux partitions from windows with this handy little tool

Now you dont have to dedicate any of your hdd space to stupid fat32. Works well. I finally did my reformat today; full ntfs setup, no more fat32 shackles slowing me down. Win2k as well, back from XP. Its nice to have a decent networking environment again.

Anyway, win2k & slack, they get along like two peas in a pod.

Comment

Have they been able to get Linux to write to a NTFS partition now? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
          Have they been able to get Linux to write to a NTFS partition now? :?:

I'm thinking the wise developers in the open source community have definitely come up with some methods of doing so, I can't think of the names of such utilities offhand -- but I'm sure there are such tools.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

It's just that all I've come across so far is that ya can get Linux to read NTFS but writin' to it was out and all the guides so far that I've read for the multiboot enviroment that I'm lookin' at (up to 5 oses) is that shared files must be on a FAT32 partition. Links please would be nice if this is not so. :confused:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I apologize, I was big-time mistaken.
              You are correct sir!

I have the utmost faith in the open source development community. There is so much demand for such a tool that given time they will do it -- provided of course that it is remotely possible.

But until then, I feel your dilemna.
              Fortunately, I've got all FAT 32 systems here.
              didn't realize what a stroke of luck that was!
              The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

No I just thought that somethin' may have happened recently to change this that I may have missed was all but with the oses that I'll be dealin' with I'll have to use FAT32 anyway which I find no great hardship except for scandisk on restart when ya bungle somethin'. I'll be usin' System Commander to handle them all and that's better installed straight thru a Win9x os (SE in my case).
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Bear in mind my goals may differ than others, but now that you have the ability to read each partition from each os, ask yourself if you really do need that pos fat32 partition. I mean- really.

Im running linux on a 4gig seagate drive, and running windows on a 40gig ibm partitioned off, all NTFS partitions. Ive constantly got more than enough space free on my linux partition, even with a 256meg swap. (which ill shrink one of these days, it hardly ever gets used, so i may as well give linux some more elbow room)

I can read, and have no reason whatsoever to write to my ntfs partitions under linux. I can just grab the data from my linux partition next time im in windows. easy.

Now obviously, those stuck in the dark ages with a 9x kernel OS need not bother doing a full switch, but if your doing anything remotley normal, like storing large amounts of data, or video editing etc, youll have nothing to worry about. As it stands, only NT based OS's can write sucessfully to a NTFS partition. Its just the way it is, with the security of the ntfs partition type. Should MS release source code, one could get a program that would let you write. But I doubt MS will be doing that anytime soon, and as said- do you really need it?

I handle all my multi os booting thru NTs standard boot menu. With the assistance of bootpart (N/A under 9x) i can grab boot info from a variety of partition types holding whatever OS they have and add it to my NT boot menu. Hell, one could even just add their windows boot info to lilo...i just like the NT boot loader. Simple and no fuss.

Comment

I can certainly appreciate what you're saying Bahamut Zer0 and it all makes perfect sense.

I'll have the POS 9x drives forever.
                    My dabbling in Linux is motivated purely by the heavy-handed methods used in the XP OS. Which I have taken a personal oath to never use on a system owned by myself. Linux seems my best bet for ever moving ahead as far as operating systems are concerned.

Not writing to NTFS is of absolutely no concern to me, but I certainly would like to see it become feasible for the huge number of folks who could make good use of such a utility.

It may well be that I am hurtling down the path to the OS stoneage -- but that will be my cross to bear. Fact is, to date I have accomplished a good deal with the 9x and have accumulated a nice toolbox of utilities that pretty much allows me to sail along fat, dumb, and happy.

Though I do understand my days are indeed numbered.
                    Like I said, that's why I'm playing in Linux at all (and truth is, I need to be devoting a lot more time to it than I am at the moment.).

But everyone's needs are different, like a pickup truck, you can mount a rifle rack, toolbox, or both -- outfit it to meet your personal requirements.

Ain't computers grand!

Comment

Working...
                    X